Thread: 11.04 Classic desktop Freezes; high CPU use?

Beans

SOLVED 11.04 Classic desktop Freezes; high CPU use?

Hello all!

Ubuntu started to freeze one and a while and now it's freezing 15 times a day.

I am running 11.04, classic desktop on a HP desktop computers for more than a year, so no hardware conflict. Kerner is 2.6.38-16; Gnome is 2.32.1

I have tested the memory (memorytest86) and nothing came up.

It freeze while using Chrome, LibreOffice, or just siting idle with or without the screesaver on.

The hard drive is not full;

According to the system monitor, memory usage is below 30 %; swap not fully used either. The CPU however, shows a different story: It keeps fluctuating from 25% or so to 100% (both CPUs).

This is certainly odd. Anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Francis4344; November 28th, 2012 at 01:21 AM.

Beans

Re: 11.04 Classic desktop Freezes; high CPU use?

You can use the System Monitor or the terminal command 'top' to see which process(es) are hogging your CPU, then use that information to troubleshoot.

However I recommend you install a supported release as 11.04 is "end of life" and any bugs won't be fixed at this point:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/10/28/...tober-28-2012/

Beans

Well, the system monitor shows many processes, all dormant, with the system monitor using maybe 4 to 10% of the CPU, compiz 2%.
    Last edited by Francis4344; November 27th, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Hi, so your system monitor is showing 100% CPU usage, but no processes higher than 10%? That sounds like a very strange system monitor bug, which as I mentioned will never get fixed.

Beans

Eggs in my face : 11.04 Classic desktop Freezes; high CPU use? Eggs in my face!!

Well, turns out that system monitor DID NOT show that seti@home and minirosetta@home were working in the background. I had totally forgotten about those two. They start up automatically.

Thanks to conky!!

I will dig up the the config to shut them down for a while and see it the problem is resolved.

Beans

Re: Eggs in my face : 11.04 Classic desktop Freezes; high CPU use? Eggs in my face!!

Hooray for conky! (I'm thinking of naming my first-born child Conky or Conkette.)

Beans

Well so far so good, no crashes and a definite hint of speed...

No clues as to why BOINC (seti@home) would screw up after running in the background for a year and a half so silently that I forgot all about it...

Time for an omelet with all those eggs....