Thread: 12.10 how to disable software updater?

Beans

12.10 how to disable software updater?

I update my machine through the command line with apt-get, because it's faster and far less annoying than through the gui. Of course, whenever I've downloaded the package lists and there are updates for my system, "Software Updater" (gui) detects this and starts itself. How can I prevent this from occurring? In "Software Sources" there appear to be no options to stop this kind of behaviour.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 12.10 how to disable software updater?

In the settings of the Software updater, on one of the tabs in there look for a drop down that is called something like "look for updates of". I am translating out of German, so I don't know exactly what it is called in English. It offers the option "never". That might sort you out, I think.
    Michael

Beans

I've set "automatically check for updates" to never, already. The problem is not that Software Updater is checking for updates, the problem is that whenever apt-get discovers updates, Software Updater gets its grubby little hands on the news, and starts itself in the gui.

There are some settings for when to display Software Updater, but those settings do not include never showing it, which is what I want.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I didn't get any hits using 12.10, that's why the 12.04. Should be the same.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...lubuntu.com%2F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The update manager is a GUI front end for the package system. It will show package information even when the terminal is used. The package name I think you want to know is update-notifier-common. I have no idea of the consequences if it was to be removed.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors