Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Server -not showing on Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Question Ubuntu 12.04 Server -not showing on Network

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server(I've ran the Desktop version and other Linuzes in the past and am a Network Admin. by trade,trained on Windows and Netware) with Ubuntu-Desktop.

Firstly,since my modem/router is set for dhcp and I have ip addresses reserved for ea. PC;in this case,192.168.2.10,I installed with dhcp as default.

Secondly,I have installed tightvnc on the Server and all Windows PCs.

I can 'tightvnc' and 'Putty' )and use Remina Remote Desktop fine to Windows ) from all PCs and ping comes back fine.

But...

Ubuntu Server(I call it 'Blackbox') does not appear in Windows Networking on my Windows XP PC,or my Win7 Laptop,but they appear to it and I can acess their folders no problem.

Do I need to punch a hole in its firewall,or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,
    Richard

However,the Ubuntu Server'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Server -not showing on Network

Quote Originally Posted by itpro007ca View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server(I've ran the Desktop version and other Linuzes in the past and am a Network Admin. by trade,trained on Windows and Netware) with Ubuntu-Desktop.

Firstly,since my modem/router is set for dhcp and I have ip addresses reserved for ea. PC;in this case,192.168.2.10,I installed with dhcp as default.

Secondly,I have installed tightvnc on the Server and all Windows PCs.

I can 'tightvnc' and 'Putty' )and use Remina Remote Desktop fine to Windows ) from all PCs and ping comes back fine.

But...

Ubuntu Server(I call it 'Blackbox') does not appear in Windows Networking on my Windows XP PC,or my Win7 Laptop,but they appear to it and I can acess their folders no problem.

Do I need to punch a hole in its firewall,or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,
    Richard

However,the Ubuntu Server'
    VNC and Putty use DNS and TCP/IP for naming and communication. When you browse the network you are using NETBIOS and TCP/IP. With ubuntu you need Samba to advertise the shares. It sounds like you have installed a Desktop Environment (DE) on the server. Is this so?

Usuually the DE includes the client routines to allow network browsing. See if you have at least the samba-common package installed. See if you have the 2 Samba daemons (smbd and nmbd) running. You should see 2 smbd and 1 nmbd running initially.
    -BAB1