Thread: Brother MFC-9120CN Network Printer

Beans

Talking Brother MFC-9120CN Network Printer

Hello I have installed Ununtu 12.04 LTS on my HP ProLiant ML110 G6 computer.

It is a network printer.

It is a dual Boot system and has a version of Linux Susi which was installed by someone who understands Linux.
    There is also a laptop computer running Windows 7 plugged into the modem. The laptop is not networked with the Linux system.

The Brother Printer works on both Susi and the laptop.

I have only recently installed Ubuntu and propose to replace the Susi installation when and improve my skills in Ubuntu.

The installation of 12.04 found the printer and installs the drive below. But when I try to print the test page or anything else I get the error message below.

I've looked on the Brother site and found the Brother MFC-9120CN but do not know what to do.
    Any ideas why 12.04 finds the printer to install the driver but not when I want to print.

Thanks Jeff

Description Brother MFC-9120CN
    Location BRN001BA94E892E
    Device URI lpd://BRN001BA94E892E/BINARY_P1
    Make and Model Brother MFC-9120CN BR-Script3

Error message Processing - Unable to locate printer "BRN001BA94E892E".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brother MFC-9120CN Network Printer

Here is my experience with Brother networked MFDs. They closely parallel HP. I've had the best luck using HP's JetDirect. I assign a static I.P. to the printer then in the device URI window type this:

Code:
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100
    where x=printer's i.p. address. I've found this to be reliable. If you find print speed slow, you can also substitute CUPS for BrScript3. I had this issue with an older laser MFD. It'd print about 3-4 pages/minute using BrScript3 and 20+pages/minute using CUPS. Newer printers may not have this issue.
    Last edited by kurt18947; August 7th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

Hi Kurt

Thanks for the reply. The person who set up the Susi suggested that I a reassign the dynamic to static IP addresses for the Internet connection Router. I expect he also set the static IP address for the printer.

I had a look on Google and understand that I need to find the current IP addresses. Select an address then enter a command to change them. Do you know a reference guide I should look at or, better still a list of commands I should use to find the info.

Then those to to set the Static address.

Thanks

Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi Jeff

Here is a page on Brother's site. Look down a little and you'll see 4 pdf publications listed. The network user's manual will tell you more than you probably wanted to know.

http://www.brother-usa.com/SiteSearc...?sk=MFC-9120CN

You don't need to use Bradmin, you can do what you want via the machine's display & keypad. Once you know/have assigned an i.p. address and establish a connection, you might be able to do quite a lot of administration via a web browser. I'm not familiar with the MFC-9102CN but here is the first 'page' of a MFC-7820N
    brother.jpg

It seems inkjet MFDs don't have the web administration. Your machine is a laser so it may have the web admin. If it does, you'll want to change the default user name and password. Otherwise a networked printer can become an network attack point.
    Last edited by kurt18947; August 8th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Beans

Hi Kurt
    Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the manual at the week end. I'm not from an IT background. I've been casually using Linux for quite a while but never put enough effort in to reach a critical mass to feel comfortable with it. I think learning how ot make a static IP address would be good for me particularly given your comment that the network printer can be a source of attack.

I've see some Linux courses on line which might let me learn in a less urgent way when there is a problem. Will let you know how i get on.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Beans

well I had spent a few days trying to connect to the printer after installing the necessary drivers and suing
    socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 resolved the problem right away. thank you.