Thread: VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Exclamation VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

I just rebuilt my laptop and installed Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. I had previously installed VMware Workstation 8.0.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 so I already know about running the patch to get the network to work. This time, when I first launch Workstation I get this message instead of it failing on the network, and I don't know what to do from here. I've spent a while Googling the problem but it doesn't look like anyone has had this issue yet. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidmb37; October 22nd, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Beans

Re: VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

Well I guess that might have been a stupid question. On a whim I ran sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic and that seemed to fix the issue. I can launch Workstation now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by davidmb37 View Post
    Well I guess that might have been a stupid question. On a whim I ran sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic and that seemed to fix the issue. I can launch Workstation now.
    It's usually good to install "build-essentials" for doing things like this. That would include the headers and some other potentially useful stuff.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Re: VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

Thanks for the tip - much appreciated. The VMware installer worked without doing this in 12.04 so I got a little confused. I would love to not even need VMware but since I work for an IT company I am pretty sure I will never be able to really get away from Windows completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: VMware Workstation 8.0.4 in Ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by davidmb37 View Post
    Thanks for the tip - much appreciated. The VMware installer worked without doing this in 12.04 so I got a little confused. I would love to not even need VMware but since I work for an IT company I am pretty sure I will never be able to really get away from Windows completely.
    Yes, even with VirtualBox using the VirtualBox Guess additions requires some of the tools and headers. I just always install 'build-essentials' shortly after any fresh install.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0