Hi, all. New to GNU/Linux and Ubuntu. Please be gentle. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 (loving it so far! Thank you Community Devs and Canonical).

I'd like to connect and use my spiffy b/g/n wifi router on my home network. Problem is, I have a broadband modem (with wifi - it's just b/g).

Verizon (ActionTec) Broadband Modem M1424-WR Rev. E
Cisco (Linksys) WRT160N V2

My thinking is that I should be able to disable the modem's wifi, plug in the b/g/n, and use the interwebs. I guess the first question is, Is this doable? If so, I'm wondering if someone might be up for a little hand-holding.

Related issues: Attempts to access the Admin/Controls (via 192.168.1.1) on either device present other problems:

- Modem: I see the Verizon login, and after inputting I get an odd 192.168.1.1/onclick= weirdness and nothing happens - no interface, nothing... O.o

- Router: Last night, I was able to login to router, but there wasn't any text on the page, only fields (with no text, except for the router's IP and my device IP). In truth, I couldn't tell what was what, so I had to leave it alone. Today, I attempted to access the router again and I get this: "It works! This is the default web page for this server. The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

I hate being that clueless person, but I'm having a tough time. Any help will be appreciated.