Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hrmmm 13.04 skunkworks

Beans

hrmmm 13.04 skunkworks

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/u...ps-and-search/

"Company head Mark Shuttleworth wants a "skunkworks" approach that will silence pre-release discussion of some features outside of key, trustworthy community members."

Not sure this is the right approach for an "open" source product.

Thoughts?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: hrmmm 13.04 skunkworks

Not sure this is the right approach for an "open" source product.
    Inclined to agree
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It sounds like Mark is a bit annoyed with some of the negative press coverage that Ubuntu has received lately.

In a way I can see why he wants to keep things under cover, until it's ready for release, but in another way, it would be nice to see what is coming, and help test it, so that there aren't any problems when a version is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it's a good approach. The 'community' approach, while it has worked to a certain degree, isn't perfect. Look at kernel development - despite it being open source Linus Torvalds controls the process quite a bit...

Canonical needs to turn Ubuntu into a polished, professional OS. This isn't going to happen if you're trying to please everyone, with all the naysayers and wasted, split effort. Canonical needs to make money, pay its staff, it's their right to decide how they develop the product they rely on.

And I personally think a more 'professional' approach could do some good for Linux...

Beans

Really complaints etc go with the territory, Mark should know this and accept this, genuine complaints and not trolling are a gift. There has been a considerable amount of trolling especially with Unity and Amazon and this makes it difficult to sort the rubbish from the good stuff .

I guess we have the Unity and Amazon Trolls to thank for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

it would be nice to see what is coming, and help test it
    Maybe I misunderstand the new stance, but I would think we could still do that?
    with +1 daily and feature freeze releases alpha, beta etc...
    Ubuntu 18.04

I am slightly worried by this approach, but I do wonder what features require the lack of bureaucracy to implement change unimpeded.

It also leads me to wonder what the criteria is to be considered a "trustworthy community member"

I suppose wait and see for now.

Beans

Now there's a novel concept, introduce more people to the development of a project and somehow that makes it less open.

You could take it from the sensationalist headline writers or you could take it from the horses mouth.

Beans

Makes me ponder are heading towards two editions, Ubuntu Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu Community Edition as per the Red Hat example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I guess we have the Unity and Amazon Trolls to thank for this.
    Absolutely. Does seem a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater though. Personally I'll reserve judgement until we see how it's implemented.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast