Thread: Used EasyBCD with 12.04, upgrade and now Grub wont let me in

Beans

Used EasyBCD with 12.04, upgrade and now Grub wont let me in

Ok so when I was using 12.04 I would hit the Windows bootloader which gave me Windows and Ubuntu through EasyBCD... then if I hit Ubuntu it would take me to a purple screen with many variations of Ubuntu like safe mode etc. And I just hit enter twice to get to the OS

So I start it up after the upgrade and the once-purple screen is now black like the windows bootloader but with ubuntu font. It says at the top Grub4Dos 0.4.5b and suggested I hit tab for my options... I tried "boot" and "help" and it gave me nothing but a request for devices etc.

I am using my Windows 7 partition right now. I tried opening EasyBCD again and making other ubuntu options using the one that scans for the grub loader... thing. That found nothing... Legacy and grub2 got me nowhere...

I am lost... I hate bootloaders... I only had it do the EasyBCD thing because I really hate bootloaders...

I have not a clue what to do... Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Used EasyBCD with 12.04, upgrade and now Grub wont let me in

You may be able to recover from this by obtaining an ubuntu livecd and folllowing the directions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...talling_GRUB_2

Sorry, that's the only thing I can think of. I feel your pain; I went through a few years with faulty bootloaders. At one point LILO almost made me give up on Linux entirely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

GRUB is very different from GRUB4DOS -- and the latter is what, I believe, that EasyBCD implements.

Rather than installing GRUB, you might want to go over to the NeoSmart Technolgy forums and post your question there. They are the developers and distributors of EasyBCD and may be able to help you fix the problem.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; October 15th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Ah Well thanks for the suggestions. I decided to just burn a new 12.04 iso... Then when I got in I "try Ubuntu" then downloaded the boot-repair thing... Then it was a very simple just waiting... it restarted and GRUB came up first.. and ubuntu booted fantastically.

It did however say that my ubuntu boot image... thing... was far away from the front of the disk and should be revised.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If system is booting you are ok.

We are seeing a lot of systems where grub just will not boot from a large / (root) over some very large size or when well beyond the beginning of the drive. We are not sure if grub issue, BIOS or some combination. There used to be a known issue with very old IDE BIOS that could not boot beyond 137GB, but that is systems over 6 years old. But issue seems similar.

I normally suggest 25GB / with separate /home and/or data partitions and those usually work.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.