Thread: group permissions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

group permissions

When i plug a usb disk into my ubuntu 12.04 machine. It is mounted with the owner root and the group disk.

On this system i also have a normal user called nice. But nice cannot be allowed to write to the usb disk (copying over folders). Because the user does not have permissions to the usb disk.

So since the usb disk is owned by root and in the group disk (where disk have rw- permissions), i added my nice user to the disk group. But still i cannot get the group permissions to write to the disk.

Anyone who can give their 5 cents so i can copy over folders with my normal nice user?

Thanks on advance.
    Kind regards.

UPDATE
    The disk get the notation /dev/sdb1, owned by root user and disk group.

The mount point is /media/something, which is owned by root and the group root. But it only has root permissions
    drwxr-xr-x

My nice user is member of disk and root groups, but the device does not have write permission for the group (root), i cannot write to the disk as nice user.
    How can i change this so /media/something get drwxrw---- permissions when it is mounted?

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Drenriza; October 5th, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: group permissions

I think it's a simple matter of setting up the appropriate permissions in fstab. Unless I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to do, you just need to add rw permissions to users in the fstab entry for that device. Here's a great go to post that I've used quite a lot when I needed help with setting up correct fstab entries:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    I think it's a simple matter of setting up the appropriate permissions in fstab. Unless I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to do, you just need to add rw permissions to users in the fstab entry for that device. Here's a great go to post that I've used quite a lot when I needed help with setting up correct fstab entries:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131
    If i create a fstab entry as follows
    Code:
    UUID=328e33c1-8920-4e04-ae03-83cfe0b106ec /media/Nordic ext2 rw 0 0
    Then i get a error saying
    Unable to mount 32 GB Filesystem
    error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with: mount: only root can mount
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/Nordic

Unless I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to do
    I just want usb sticks to start up with 760 permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not a terribly great fstabber, but I think you need to add "auto" or "users" to the line in order to allow non-root users to mount the device. Auto has some other options that you may or may not want. So, you might decided to explicitly dictate the options rather than use auto.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    I'm not a terribly great fstabber, but I think you need to add "auto" or "users" to the line in order to allow non-root users to mount the device. Auto has some other options that you may or may not want. So, you might decided to explicitly dictate the options rather than use auto.
    My fstab now looks like this
    Code:
    UUID=328e33c1-8920-4e04-ae03-83cfe0b106ec /media/Nordic ext2 rw,auto,user,noexec,sync 0 0
    And the device is mounted just fine. But from my normal user (nice) i STILL cannot copy over files to the usb device.

UPDATE
    /media/ has 777 permissions, and my nice (normal user) can find create folders and documents in this path.

But when i connect a USB device, i get the following permissions
    /media/usb properties says that root has create and delete files, group (root) can list,create/delete,no access?? and others has no permissions.

I don't get it.
    Last edited by Drenriza; October 8th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No one?