Thread: In need of a new keyboard

Beans

In need of a new keyboard

ugh, never have a dog sit by you.. got up and he wanted to play and accidentally bumped me to where I spilled some soda on my keyboard. I'm not attached to it but loved it as it was a mechanical keyboard... pissed cause it's messed up now.

I'm basically a software engineer so having some programmable buttons would be nice, I do love illuminated keys, price only have 300 dollars but doesn't mean I want to give an arm and a leg.

What are your recommendations?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: In need of a new keyboard

I use this one: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa.../k750-keyboard

Comfy, cheap, nice.

Beans

Re: In need of a new keyboard

By 'mechanical' you mean those super old clackety clack keyboards? Those were great but I never found one that worked with USB or wireless.

I've never found anything like them, but right now I use a Kinesis freestyle which is a compact completely split keyboard with a few inches of cord between the halves. No numeric pad, that can be separate. But the main thing for me is it's got a good solid feel to it, a good tactile keyboard for a touch typist. It's not as strong as the old clackety clacks but I think it's actually better for high speed typing. And a lot less noisy.

Mine has a 74" cord between, so I can mount the halves on a chair. It has 5 lugs on the bottom for attaching mounting accessories, but if you want something crazy those lugs can be for whatever you come up with.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm using a Trust Media Keyboard which cost me the amazingly small amount of £5.99 in UK.

All the media keys in the row along the top work, as well as all of the other application keys, eg email, web-browser, home folder, calculator, poweroff, etc etc.

One of the best £5.99 spends I've made.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

I went with the Das Keyboard, now just gotta get some linux key caps.
    Also they use the cherry mx blue caps so yay for clickyness!

If you're not happy with clicky go with cherry mx brown.