Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    618

    VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Today, I don't know what button was pressed by my lovely boy, the VLC was un-installed. Now when I wish to re-install the VLC :

    * via USC the following warning was displayed:
    Package dependencies cannot be resolved
    This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.
    Details:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    vlc: Depends: fonts-freefont-ttf but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1 is to be installed
    Depends: libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but 4:0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1+medibuntu1 is to be installed
    Depends: libavutil-extra-51 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but 4:0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1+medibuntu1 is to be installed
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15) but 2.15-0ubuntu10.2 is to be installed
    Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1) but 2.4.8-1ubuntu2 is to be installed
    Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 is to be installed
    Depends: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0) but 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu4.2 is to be installed
    Depends: libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1) but 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu4.2 is to be installed
    Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.6) but 4.6.3-1ubuntu5 is to be installed
    Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg) but 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu4 is to be installed
    * via Terminal :
    czgirb@czgirb:~$ sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin mozilla-plugin-vlc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package vlc-plugin
    czgirb@czgirb:~$
    * via Terminal with other command :
    czgirb@czgirb:~$ sudo apt-get install vlc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    vlc : Depends: fonts-freefont-ttf but it is not installable
    Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    czgirb@czgirb:~$
    Please help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    498
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by czgirb View Post
    Today, I don't know what button was pressed by my lovely boy, the VLC was un-installed. Now when I wish to re-install the VLC :
    try:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fonts-freefont-ttf vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse vlc
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    618

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by androssofer View Post
    try:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fonts-freefont-ttf vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse vlc
    Still. There is no VLC installed
    czgirb@czgirb:~$ sudo apt-get install fonts-freefont-ttf vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse vlc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package fonts-freefont-ttf is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

    E: Package 'fonts-freefont-ttf' has no installation candidate
    czgirb@czgirb:~$

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Hello,

    same problem as czgirb here, I have updated my Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday and VLC disappeared. When I try to reinstall I get:

    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

    I have not been able to localize which packages are broken. The VLC installation via the Package Manager doesn't work either. I then tried to install the fonts-freefonts-tff but:

    E: Package 'fonts-freefont-ttf' has no installation candidate

    I think it is a problem of third party sources packages (restricted-extras, libdvdcss2 or others) I had "added" to VLC.

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by ParetoCDF View Post
    Hello,

    same problem as czgirb here, I have updated my Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday and VLC disappeared. When I try to reinstall I get:

    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

    I have not been able to localize which packages are broken. The VLC installation via the Package Manager doesn't work either. I then tried to install the fonts-freefonts-tff but:

    E: Package 'fonts-freefont-ttf' has no installation candidate

    I think it is a problem of third party sources packages (restricted-extras, libdvdcss2 or others) I had "added" to VLC.

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion!
    I had the same problem but I fixed it by completely removing vlc, including vlc-nox and vlc-data. Since I was using the vlc repo I removed that as well. Then I just updated the packages and reinstalled and vlc works fine again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    618

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by hugh.st View Post
    I had the same problem but I fixed it by completely removing vlc, including vlc-nox and vlc-data. Since I was using the vlc repo I removed that as well. Then I just updated the packages and reinstalled and vlc works fine again.
    Would you mind for sharing the detail with us?
    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dar es salaam Tanzania
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Here it is

    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

    ppa-purge - disables a PPA and reverts to official
    packages

    sudo ppa-purge ppa:videolan/stable-daily


    This worked for me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    DeKalb, IL
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by wamai View Post
    Here it is

    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

    ppa-purge - disables a PPA and reverts to official
    packages

    sudo ppa-purge ppa:videolan/stable-daily


    This worked for me
    Purging the PPAs (I found two in Synaptic...really should clean house more often, but I get lazy at times) worked for me as well. Once I deleted the PPAs, I used Synaptic to reinstall and it worked fine.

    FYI, I found this thread while trying to find a solution. Basically, it says that package fonts-freefont-ttf may be called ttf-freefont in Precise.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    618

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by wamai View Post
    Here it is

    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

    ppa-purge - disables a PPA and reverts to official
    packages

    sudo ppa-purge ppa:videolan/stable-daily


    This worked for me
    So ... is it means that I should type the following command in Terminal?
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    in order to disables the PPA and reverts to official packages
    and followed with:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:videolan/stable-daily
    Please guide me ... for my ubuntu knowledge is not good
    Thank you

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    498
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: VLC un-installed and re-install matter

    Quote Originally Posted by czgirb View Post
    So ... is it means that I should type the following command in Terminal?

    in order to disables the PPA and reverts to official packages
    and followed with:

    Please guide me ... for my ubuntu knowledge is not good
    Thank you
    yeah just run:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    then run:

    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:videolan/stable-daily
    then try installing vlc again:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •