Thread: Unreadable diagonial screen NVIDIA, U12x, AMD64

Beans

Unreadable diagonial screen NVIDIA, U12x, AMD64

Hello. I'm not sure which forum to post this into (Installation & Upgrades, Multimedia & Video, Hardware & Laptops) because it seems my problem touches on all three areas, so I'm posting it in Beginners.

The issue is that I have older computer that will run U9.10 but won't show a useable screen when a newer version is loaded. I've tried U10's, U11's and 12's along with Linux Mint (LM) coming from the same U bases.

What I get is a screen that is divided into three strips on the diagonial

http://s19.postimage.org/nsxfwsv0z/N...Ub_display.jpg

Notice on the right side, middle panel, the white object. That is the cursor arrow.

The equipment: NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE, AMD Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz.

I'm thinking that maybe a NVIDIA driver update might fix this. But how I would achieve this is a mystery to me.

Thank you, for your detailed assistance.
    Aboard SV Drakus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unreadable diagonial screen NVIDIA, U12x, AMD64

I use to have a very similar chipset "Nvidia Geforce 6150se Nforce 430" and had major problems with it first if you can atleast get to the login screen right click the ubuntu dealy and change it to 2D Unity you should be able to atleast boot in to that it'll probably be ugly and big (mine always was) then add this PPA

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

then

sudo apt-get update

don't upgrade yet though go to the Dash menu and search for Jockey and install the "Nvidia Post-Release Current" driver it should be 304.x it's the only driver I was able to get working with Ubuntu/Kubuntu (Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon was pretty much a no go) Kubuntu was much much more difficult because they don't have the 2D option I'm not gonna lie that chipset gave me such a hard time with everything I ended up selling mine but it is possible you just have to get the newer nvidia drivers if you can't even get to the login screen switch to TTY1 (ctrl+alt+f1) add the PPA then
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

That should get it running for you.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans

Re: Unreadable diagonial screen NVIDIA, U12x, AMD64

ctrl-alt-f1 should drop you to a console and ctrl-alt-f7 will get you back to the desktop. You can then try installing nvidia 304.43 from xswat ppa.