Thread: Ratel Performance Board

Beans

Ratel Performance Board

I'm looking at getting a Ratel Performance, but I can't tell from the actual product specs if it is a mini-itx form factor or micro-atx. The closest case I can find to it is a Lian Li that looks to be mini itx, not micro. I'd be appreciative if anyone that owns one or System76 could say.

Thanks,
    phthano

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ratel Performance Board

Quote Originally Posted by phthano View Post
    I'm looking at getting a Ratel Performance, but I can't tell from the actual product specs if it is a mini-itx form factor or micro-atx. The closest case I can find to it is a Lian Li that looks to be mini itx, not micro. I'd be appreciative if anyone that owns one or System76 could say.

Thanks,
    phthano
    Actually, it's both. Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX are the same.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Actually, it's both. Micro-ATX and Mini-ITX are the same.
    Not at all. Micro-ATX is 244 by 244 mm, mini-ITX is 170 by 170. Mini-ITX boards typically have a single PCI-express slot, while micro-ATX can have as many as four.

Beans

I think the computer case can hold either micro-ATX or mini-ITX motherboards. At one point someone mentioned the exact Lian-Li case (but I can't find that now), but the specs for that do allow either form factor for the motherboard.

I think the actual motherboard sold by System76 is mini-ITX. In fact, I think it is the Intel DH77DF which has firewire. Even if it is not that specific motherboard, the system76 configuration options for memory only allows 2 RAM sticks which is usually the limit for mini-ITX motherboards. Micro-ATX motherboards have the space to go up to 4 RAM sticks.

Beans

Micro ATX and Mini ITX are certainly not the same. It's good to know that the case supports Micro ATX, though. Is there a method to buy just the case from System76? I can't find an equivalent Lian Li case, but if there was I would buy it.

Beans

Now I'm not so sure about the case. My memory may not be so good, so I may easily be wrong about the Ratel using the Lian-Li case that supports both sizes. OTOH, the System76 person also thinks it supports both.

If you look at the rear of that Ratel case, you can see it only has two external expansion holes. So that would make it seem like the case is only built for mini-ITX.

Looking at the Lian-Li website, I thought the case was in their Mini-ITX motherboard size. Those don't claim to support micro-ATX board sizes. Only the section for Micro-ATX cases say that they can also hold mini-ITX. Nothing there looks even close. In my opinion, the PC-Q11 looks closest to the Ratel except for the front ports not being oriented the same.

Beans

Muvan, That seems to be the case I was looking for! The reason I couldn't find it was because I was looking for it as a Micro-ATX board. Lian Li does says it's only Mini-ITX, though, like you said. Thanks for all the help.