Thread: Best Hardware for Internet TV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Best Hardware for Internet TV

I would like some guidance on hardware for getting TV from the Internet.

What hardware features should I try and get?

First of all, let me say that TV might be a bit of a confusing term. By TV, I mean channels like BBC, Discovery, that sort of thing. Many channels are these days are broadcast via the Internet. I don't know if TV is the correct phrase for this. There might be some good channels that aren't sent over the Internet. Which are they?

Part of what is confusing is that Internet Television, Web Television and IPTV are all different things. See the Wiki.

Secondly, I would like to check if my understanding of the topology is OK. Is this best: Internet into router, maybe wireless from router to living room laptop, then either wired or wireless from the laptop to the "TV".

As far as the "TV" itself is concerned, I am a bit confused. Is the only important thing here the panel? Wouldn't it just be best to get say a 30" IPS computer monitor, like this one? That is a great price and a 30" panel with excellent resolution. This monitor is a lot cheaper than what I see listed as Smart TVs or Internet TVs. It has better resolution, too. Would there be something this monitor set up couldn't do?

I would have to wire some speakers from the living room laptop to some speakers, too.

If you know a good web page about this sort of thing, please provide a link.

Thank you!
    Last edited by yeehi; September 7th, 2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Added IPTV, Web TV, Internet TV
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans

Re: Best Hardware for Internet TV

First - what country are you writing from/about, as the services and techniques will vary. I ask because you reference an obviously UK wiki article (quotes BBC iPlayer), and a monitor priced in US dollars.

I, myself, am not currently using a TV - I have a PC monitor driven by Humax set top box to pick up terrestrial digital broadcasts. It is incorporated into my local network (a mix of wired and wireless). I can record programmes with the STB and play them on a PC. I can view files, play videos,play MP3 files using the STB to access my PCs. I can also use iPlayer, either from the STB or from PC. I have speakers supplied by signal from the STB to a tuner/amp.

Does that help at all?
    Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This would be for the UK.

I hope that the information in this thread would be applicable anywhere.

It was interesting to hear about Humax and Set Top Boxes.

Is Humax good with Ubuntu?
    Last edited by yeehi; September 8th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans

There are noticeable differences as to coding, encryption, network connectivity ...

Some of the Humax packages are interesting, in that they use a linux package for the software, and people have written and made available modifications and addons. I use the Freeview HDR-T2, which has such packages of custom software.

As to being 'good with Ubuntu', I couldn't say that it is especially so, offering a range of networking possibilities. I have loaded tvMobili! (a DLNA server), which allows access to the PC files (Windows or linux), and VLC, which can use the DLNA server on the Humax box to access recordings )again windows or linux).

One feature I've just started exploring is the ability to remotely set up schedules for recording of programmes - even when the programmes are not yet in the EPG. This I expect to be of use when I go on holiday and a new series starts while I'm away.
    Derek