Thread: 12.04 64-bit, "prettynames" cron job stopped running - need help

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

12.04 64-bit, "prettynames" cron.hourly job stopped running - need help

I set up a hourly cron job on my friends Mythbuntu 12.04 machine to call the mythrename.pl script (which creates simlinks with human-readable names in a folder called "pretty").

I set this up right after a fresh load of 12.04 64-bit, and it was working fine.
    On August 21 it quit running.
    Can anyone help me diagnose why it stopped?

Here's how the setup looks:

I created a folder called pretty:
    /var/lib/mythtv/pretty
    Since the mythtv user will access it, I gave ownership to the mythtv user.
    I also gave wide premissions to the folder to be sure all users could access it:
    Code:
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mythtv mythtv 32768 Aug 21 01:17 pretty
    I put a script in /etc/cron.hourly called "prettynames" which calls the mythrename.pl script once an hour:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/mythrename.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/pretty --verbose --format "%T - %S - %Y-%m-%d, %g-%i %A"
    I made sure the mythrename.pl script was executable:
    Code:
    chmod 755 usr/bin/mythrename.pl
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18590 Aug 28 21:16 mythrename.pl
    As I mentioned this was all working, and the /var/lib/mythtv/pretty directory was populated every hour with nice, readable filenames, UNTIL Aug. 21. Now, all the symlinks in the folder are dated Aug. 21. Here's an example:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 50 Aug 21 01:17 The Twilight Zone - Time Enough at Last - 2012-07-15, 10-55 PM.mpg -> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/1053_20120715225500.mpg
    I tried invoking the prettynames script from a command line and it ran ok and updated all the symlinks in the pretty folder.
    Code:
    user@Mythbuntu:/$ /etc/cron.hourly/prettynames
    Are there any ideas or troubleshooting methods to help me figure out why it stopped automatically populating the "pretty" folder?

I note that when the cron job ran, the symlinks in the pretty folder were owned by root.

When I called the prettynames script as my friend's username, all the symlinks in the pretty folder were owned by his username.

In the prettynames script, should I be calling the mythrename.pl script with another user, such as the mythtv user?
    If so, how do I do that?

Help appreciated.
    Eric
    Last edited by neutron68; September 1st, 2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added info