Code:
# Allow NEW, ESTABLISHED and RELATED incoming connection
iptables -A FIREWALL -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
and until you make it read
Code:
# Allow NEW, ESTABLISHED and RELATED incoming connection
iptables -A FIREWALL -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
no new connections will be allowed.

As for the meaning of "$OUTS" this will be replaced by the content of a variable named "OUTS" which I suspect will be defined near the start of the script with a line that looks something like
Code:
declare OUTS=eth0
Many script authors do this to make it easy to customize the script by changing the actual value at just one spot. For instance, my outgoing interface is "eth1" so I could just change the "eth0" to "eth1" and the script would work for me. Without using the variable, I would have to change every place that it's used.

The "$" prefix tells the shell to use the value of the following expression, rather than using it literally. While it's similar to the concept of a symlink, it really has no direct connection to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ipt_recent patch" since this is simply a module that is added to your script. Once you have edited the script it makes no difference whether you did so via a GUI or by using the command line; the iptables program will simply follow your list of rules and will include the module along with all the others.