Thread: NetworkManager vs. /etc/network/interfaces for a gateway machine

Beans

Question NetworkManager vs. /etc/network/interfaces for a gateway machine

I've got a new installation of 12.04 on my gateway machine for my soho lan.

I'm moving across from an older machine where I'd run debian for ages and I figured I prefer the UI with Ubuntu so here I am.

I'm in the process of setting up my two network cards, one to the DSL modem and one to the lan wireless access point, along with dnsmasq and iptables.

Now I've discovered that Ubuntu has Upstart for booting, and NetworkManager and all its functionality. I'm wondering whether to go with NetworkManager, or to remove it and stick with /etc/network/interfaces way of doing things.

Anyone got any recommendations? My initial impression is that NetworkManager is not meant for this - it's aimed squarely at workstations, not servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: NetworkManager vs. /etc/network/interfaces for a gateway machine

The Server edition lacks Network Manager and you configure everything by hand.

You may try the Server edition.

It doesn't come with GUI by default but you can add it later through apt-get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: NetworkManager vs. /etc/network/interfaces for a gateway machine

My initial impression is that NetworkManager is not meant for this - it's aimed squarely at workstations, not servers.
    Correct. Network Manager will struggle to do what you are trying to do, if it will at all. You already know how to do /etc/network/interfaces; I'd stick with it.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.