Thread: Fullscreening a youtube video - What to do when it crashes?

Beans

Fullscreening a youtube video - What to do when it crashes?

When I'm watching a flash video (i.e. youtube, google videos etc.) and have it on fullscreen, sometimes the screen freezes. If I hold alt+tab, the window selector screen comes up but if I select another window, the frozen video screen stays on top so theres no way out of it. I can press ctrl+alt+t to get the terminal up and kill processes (blindly since I can't actually see the terminal window) but I don't know which process I have to kill or restart to get the screen back to normal. Killing firefox doesn't work, in fact sometimes what causes the screen to freeze is firefox crashing.

Beans

Re: Fullscreening a youtube video - What to do when it crashes?

You should be able to switch to another workspace and open a new terminal. Now you have to kill the plugin-container process to terminate the crashed Flash Player plugin:
    Code:
    killall plugin-containe
    GNU/Linux

Beans

Thanks, I'll try this next time it happens. I never tried switching workspace. I can open up a new terminal when the screens frozen, I just can't see what I'm doing. I usually just run reboot now because I didn't know any processes to kill. I'll try killing plugin-container next time.

Beans

It happened again just there and switching workspace (using the hotkey CTRL + ALT + RIGHT) works but plugin-containe isn't even running so killing it doesn't work. Its not really a problem since its only workspace 1 that has a frozen screen now though.

Beans

The playback of HTML5 videos might have caused the freeze and you will have to kill the Firefox process. Are you sure, that you were watching a Flash video? The plugin-container process (plugin-containe) should still be present after Flash Player has frozen the screen.
    GNU/Linux