Thread: Diablo 1 on Ubuntu?

Beans

Smile Diablo 1 on Ubuntu? and updating

Hello, I'm new to the forums but I've had Ubuntu for about a year now, all I've been using it for is on my laptop, which means I only used it for Facebook/Typing up paper/Simple stuff.
    But I'm going to be starting College soon and (coincidentally) my Windows 7 computer started getting BIOS beeps and I cannot figure out how to fix that just yet, so I'm going to be using Ubuntu a lot more now!

Basically, I tried installing Diablo 1 with Ubuntu, I opened the autorun.exe with Wine and installed it, all went well.
    But when I start it up it freezes when my mouse isn't moving, and it just runs oddly all together.

and then on top of that I was wondering how I would go about updating it to v1.9?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance if you're able to help me, and I apologize for being new.
    I'll try to get the hang of Ubuntu quickly so I'm not as much of a nuisance
    But give me a bit, after nearly twenty years of nothing but Windows it might take a little bit XD
    Last edited by Kiraush; June 5th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Diablo 1 on Ubuntu?

You may be out of luck for Diablo 1. It looks like people have more luck with Diablo 2 & 3. Two people gave Diablo 1 a silver rating, but everyone else gave it a garbage rating. No one got the menus showing up right.

The place to check this stuff is over at WineHQ's app database. You can search for whatever you want to install, and see people's experiences and workarounds for installing that app.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    You may be out of luck for Diablo 1. It looks like people have more luck with Diablo 2 & 3. Two people gave Diablo 1 a silver rating, but everyone else gave it a garbage rating. No one got the menus showing up right.

The place to check this stuff is over at WineHQ's app database. You can search for whatever you want to install, and see people's experiences and workarounds for installing that app.
    Dang, that sucks. Any sign in the future that we will be getting it fixed?
    Thank you for helping, with games not listed in Wine am I pretty much out of luck? or is it just hit and miss?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraush View Post
    Thank you for helping, with games not listed in Wine am I pretty much out of luck? or is it just hit and miss?
    If it's not listed, it may be worth a try, but I wouldn't have high hopes. Also, anything under a Silver rating isn't worth wasting your time. That's a great place to find workarounds, though.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraush View Post
    Wine in general is hit & miss, as in the end you try to run Windows software on Linux. Some old Windows games won't even work properly in W7 anymore, let alone Linux.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg