Thread: USB External Hard Drive not being regonized

Beans

USB External Hard Drive not being regonized

Hi.
    I Just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my dell dimension 3000. While trying to plug my external HD in, i noticed it was not being regonized. This was very strange considering when i reinstalled the "installer" regonized it as a install location. it is formate in the format exFat. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: USB External Hard Drive not being regonized

8.04 is a very old Ubuntu version that has not been supported for quite some time, so you would not even be able to get any updates for it. The oldest version of Ubuntu I have used was 9.04 a week before 9.10 was released, and current version is 12.04

When you connect the USB drive, in a terminal (xterm) what does the end of dmesg show about the USB drive, if anything?
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 32" 1080p | i7-4700MQ, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M, 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    8.04 is a very old Ubuntu version that has not been supported for quite some time, so you would not even be able to get any updates for it. The oldest version of Ubuntu I have used was 9.04 a week before 9.10 was released, and current version is 12.04

When you connect the USB drive, in a terminal (xterm) what does the end of dmesg show about the USB drive, if anything?
    8.04 LTS if its server is supported until April 2013
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post

nothing at all...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rebuhjc View Post
    nothing at all...
    After much help from everyone i updated to 12.04. I then used a couple of commands to mount the HD, as ubuntu does not recognize exfat. its now up and running!

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rebuhjc View Post
    After much help from everyone i updated to 12.04. I then used a couple of commands to mount the HD, as ubuntu does not recognize exfat. its now up and running!

Thanks!
    Cool glad you got it sorted, remember to use thread tools to mark this thread as solved.

Cheers
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013