Thread: Mount subfolders in samba?

Beans

Mount subfolders in samba?

Here is my problem, which I have been playing around with on and off for the past couple days. I have an ubuntu file server (10.04 server edition x64, if it matters) and I am trying to mount a subfolder on my ubuntu desktop (10.04 Desktop x86).
    I have a share on the server called 'data', which has a few dozen subfolders. I am trying to mount //server/data/Tools to my downloads folder on my desktop, but I can't seem to make it work.
    I added this to my fstab:
    Code:
    //192.168.177.243/data/Tools /home/chris/Downloads cifs auto,username=******,password=******,uid=1000,umask=000,users 0 0
    but when I try to mount it, I get
    Code:
    mount: //192.168.177.243/data/Tools is not a valid block device
    When I mount //192.168.177.243/data, it works fine, but anytime I try to mount a subfolder, I get that error. I am trying to avoid making a share for each individual share, but I can't find a solution, I might just have to do that.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I guess I could just mount the data folder to like /media/server then symlink the folders to where I want them, but that also seems rather inconvenient.
    Last edited by lazychris2000; July 8th, 2010 at 05:55 AM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Mount subfolders in samba?

Same problem with a shared folder like:

Code:
    mount -t cifs //172.16.1.4/SRV_Backup&/Dir /media/nas_max1/ -o username=USER,password=PASS,domain=DOMAIN,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    Doesn't work!

if I put:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs //172.16.1.4/SRV_Backup& etc...
    everything will work!

Beans

Talking Re: Mount subfolders in samba?

Find a stupid (but working) solution here

you have to install Samba FS!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smbfs

Beans

Re: Mount subfolders in samba?

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

It's been so long, I forgot how I eventually solved the problem, but I'm pretty sure that was how I did it. I've since upgraded the server to 12.04 and switched from samba to nfs, but thanks for the reply. Hopefully it will help someone who is searching for the same solution