Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server 12.04 - gui gnome install?

Beans

Server 12.04 - gui gnome install?

Hi all,
    I am setting up a test box - is there any way to install gnome on server 12.04?

Thanks,
    Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Server 12.04 - gui gnome install?

Your best bet is to install Ubuntu Desktop, which can do everything Ubuntu Server can do. Then install AMP on top of it, if you are testing web pages.

Beans

I tried that, and got Unity. I am trying to get gnome.

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think you can install gnome in the software manager, then at logon click the "gear" and select gnome.

Beans

"install Ubuntu Desktop, which can do everything Ubuntu Server can do"

That's not true: Ubuntu server kernel is compiled with different options to be a server.

The best options is install Ubuntu Server and then install ubuntu-desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity is a small compiz plugin on top of gnome3, to get gnome-shell as an option run the following command

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    At your login screen click on the Ubuntu Logo near your name, select "Gnome" as your login session.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by josir View Post
    "install Ubuntu Desktop, which can do everything Ubuntu Server can do"

That's not true: Ubuntu server kernel is compiled with different options to be a server.

The best options is install Ubuntu Server and then install ubuntu-desktop.
    Nope.

The server kernel and desktop kernel have been merged.
    All Ubuntu versions now use the same kernel, the only difference is in the chosen architecture (amd64, i386 or i386-nonpae).
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Nope.

The server kernel and desktop kernel have been merged.
    All Ubuntu versions now use the same kernel, the only difference is in the chosen architecture (amd64, i386 or i386-nonpae).
    My understanding was this was only for 32 bit. There used to be a 32bit kernel, 32bit pae kernel and a 32bit server kernel. The pae and server kernel for 32bit have been merged. It is my understanding that 64bit generic and 64bit server are not the same. This is shown by trying to install linux-server and linux-image-server on a 32 bit system. You will get generic-pae instead. However, if you install linux-server and linux-image-server on a 64bit system, you will get it, and it is NOT "generic" but rather "server." There doesn't seem to be much point to keeping separate server kernels if they have in fact identical. (but this isn't the case for 32bit as noted)

update - seems I was mistaken:

"The amd64 -generic and -server kernel flavors have been merged into a single -generic kernel flavor for Ubuntu 12.04. Given the few differences that existed between the two flavors, it only made sense to merge the two and reduce the overall maintenance burden over the life of this LTS release."

from: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop
    Last edited by EarlsFurniture; June 4th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Unity is a small compiz plugin on top of gnome3, to get gnome-shell as an option run the following command

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    At your login screen click on the Ubuntu Logo near your name, select "Gnome" as your login session.
    If the OP or anyone else gets this to work please post how you did it. I've tried it several times both from official repos and the gnome3-team ppa, and all I get is a classic gnome session.(with its ugly 1995 icon theme) I can't seem to get the modern gnome3 with gnome-shell.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlsFurniture View Post
    If the OP or anyone else gets this to work please post how you did it. I've tried it several times both from official repos and the gnome3-team ppa, and all I get is a classic gnome session.(with its ugly 1995 icon theme) I can't seem to get the modern gnome3 with gnome-shell.
    In that case it could be that your graphics hardware/driver isn't up to spec. Make sure when you log in that you choose "Gnome" not "Gnome Classic".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast