Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade chaos

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade chaos

I started an upgrade, from 11.10 to 12.04, yesterday. I had a couple of power outages, shut down, started up and told ubuntu to go on with "partial" update. I did this twice, and it seemed to keep going, trying to download all 1900-ish files. I had to go out a few hundred files from the end of the "get packages" bit.

When I came back, hours later, the power was out. I don't know if installation finished. Downloading of files may have completed. I don't know if it needs user input at that point.

When I turn on the system now I can't get to the startup screen.

If I choose Ubuntu 3.0.0-17-generic I get a blank screen.

If I choose Ubuntu 3.0.0-17-generic (recovery mode) I go to a menu with various options. But it is screwed. If I press the down arrow it sometimes goes to the option below, other times nothing happens, other times I go to a screen with Ubuntu 11.10 and a light sequence under it (like it is loading, but never gets anywhere).

Sometimes I can select the options.

I can't start the internet from that option.
    The command prompt won't display what I type, and sometimes deletes characters. e.g. I type df<carriage return> but it takes f<carriage return>. I managed to df and found that the SSD I boot from is there, as is an external storage HDD, but not the old /home 1TB drive.

sudo apt-get update (when I managed to get that to run) says failed to resolve archive.ubuntu.com.

BTW, when I try to run older versions of Linux, from the grub menu, I have the same problems.

What should I do? I am at work now. Should I download 12.04 onto a memory stick, boot that and upgrade from there again? Will I lose anything?
    Last edited by chortle; April 28th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 upgrade chaos

I wonder if grub simply did not get updated or something. You might be trying to boot with a kernel which is no longer on the computer. You might be able to fix this by loading a live cd and doing a update-grub, you may need to do a chroot for that to work mind you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I had a couple of power outages, shut down, started up and told ubuntu to go on with "partial" update
    You didn't expect everything to be OK after this... surely!
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Finalfantasykid View Post
    I wonder if grub simply did not get updated or something. You might be trying to boot with a kernel which is no longer on the computer. You might be able to fix this by loading a live cd and doing a update-grub, you may need to do a chroot for that to work mind you.
    Indeed, this is a good starting point.
    Or just do a new install and put everything back in place from your backup
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Indeed, this is a good starting point.
    Or just do a new install and put everything back in place from your backup
    That might end up being easier, because who knows what else might have gone wrong during the upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chortle View Post

What should I do? I am at work now. Should I download 12.04 onto a memory stick, boot that and upgrade from there again? Will I lose anything?
    If you could try an upgrade indeed. And if that does not work:
    Boot from a live CD/USB, and copy files you want to keep to an external USB-stick/harddisk. Then do a *fresh* install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    If you could try an upgrade indeed. And if that does not work:
    Boot from a live CD/USB, and copy files you want to keep to an external USB-stick/harddisk. Then do a *fresh* install.
    This is what I will do. I've loads of spare space on the attached drives.

Thanks everyone, for coming to my aid in my time of need!

Beans

Problem solved. I installed over the top of the spagged installation having grabbed the contents of my encrypted /home directory and saved a copy of the archived packages I'd downloaded.

Was very pleased to find that I had my old desktop when I booted up. I hadn't needed to extract my /home folder. Using the same user name Ubuntu pointed me at the same home directory.

Thanks for all your support.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chortle View Post
    Problem solved. I installed over the top of the spagged installation having grabbed the contents of my encrypted /home directory and saved a copy of the archived packages I'd downloaded.

Was very pleased to find that I had my old desktop when I booted up. I hadn't needed to extract my /home folder. Using the same user name Ubuntu pointed me at the same home directory.

Thanks for all your support.
    Good to hear that positive result
    Ubuntu 18.04