Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE - before you post a reply

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

PLEASE - before you post a reply

I don't know where this goes, but at least something along these lines needs to be a sticky or something where everyone can see it, regardless of the forum (except things like the cafe obviously).

Before you post a reply to a thread, be sure you have read the entire thread. Know the context in which a reply was made, as it may be different from the title or opening post of the thread.

I've seen more and more people, who I suspect are just anxious to build up a bean count that doesn't mean anything, post a reply in a thread that is basically an exact duplicate of a post previously made in the same thread. Not minutes ago, where sometimes one persons typing is faster than anothers, but hours even days apart.

I've seen people post such useless things as "be sure to backup all your data before you start", which, if they had read the thread first, they would find is impossible since the partition was deleted.

I've seen replies that are completely against the current status of the thread - if the thread had been read completely, the poster would hav eknown that this reply would do nothing but confuse and be of no use.

So, PLEASE, read the ENTIRE thread and think about the context and what has already been posted before just blindly posting. Don't duplicate a previous post. Don't recommend actions that are impossible in the current context or don't apply to the current context.

All of this causes nothing but confusion for both the participants in the thread but also from others who may be looking for a solution to their own problem.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: PLEASE - before you post a reply

I agree wholheartedly with what you said ... and would go further to say that here in ABT, Bad Advice is especially damaging -- because folks posting here often can't tell bad advice from good, and will tend to do whatever they are told -- sometimes with grave results.

And yeah, I think some folks just post advice to raise their post counts -- not caring whether the advice is good or not.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I didn't read the whole thing, but the part that I read I totally agree with.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Maybe it's time we point those bad posts out. When someone posts a duplicate, what's the best option: report abuse to get it removed or post yourself to tell them about it? It doesn't do much good to just let it go. As for bad advice, I count on the community to call that out when they see it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    And yeah, I think some folks just post advice to raise their post counts -- not caring whether the advice is good or not.
    It's annoying, but I can't hardly blame people with less than 50 posts who just want to be able to edit their profiles. I wish there were a better solution to stop spammers because that rule just invites useless crap in the support sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    I didn't read the whole thing, but the part that I read I totally agree with.

But this doesn't apply to the current context of this thread because we have been discussing how this is all a bad idea. (just joking)
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    When someone posts a duplicate, what's the best option: report abuse to get it removed ...
    Please report them as duplicates - we do close/merge them.

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    It's annoying, but I can't hardly blame people with less than 50 posts who just want to be able to edit their profiles. I wish there were a better solution to stop spammers because that rule just invites useless crap in the support sections.
    So do I - as for pointless bean mining if you see a lot - report it please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not have a lot of posts and I'm new to the forums, and this is certainly supposed to be an open community.

However, if a post is off-topic it should be removed by the moderators.

Also, I don't really agree that a user necessarily needs to read the "entire thread." I think the intent is to stay on-topic with the original poster, and not with the flow of the thread. We are all answering questions to the best of our knowledge, with the information given by the OP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mathor View Post
    I do not have a lot of posts and I'm new to the forums, and this is certainly supposed to be an open community.

However, if a post is off-topic it should be removed by the moderators.

Also, I don't really agree that a user necessarily needs to read the "entire thread." I think the intent is to stay on-topic with the original poster, and not with the flow of the thread. We are all answering questions to the best of our knowledge, with the information given by the OP.
    That is true.

That being said the whole thread is important usually as the OP often changes further down with responses which gleems more or more accurate information.

Often the problem is nothing related to the OP

Peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I can resist no longer. If haqking can do it, I can do it.
    So there!

Side

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    I've seen more and more people, who I suspect are just anxious to build up a bean count that doesn't mean anything, post a reply in a thread that is basically an exact duplicate of a post previously made in the same thread. Not minutes ago, where sometimes one persons typing is faster than anothers, but hours even days apart.
    If you see a copy and paste of an earlier post, it's almost certainly a spam post. Sometimes it's a proto-spammer who posts innocent-looking material hoping not to be noticed, and posts their spam links later, or they come back later to edit their post and put in the spam link - that's for SEO manipulation rather than hoping someone will buy their products.

Or... the post contains hidden links. If you suspect a post, click on the quote button and if it has a hidden link, you'll see it in the quote, almost always between [IMG] and [/IMG] tags. Don't reply to it - report it! And even if you can't see hidden links and you are suspicious - please report it!

Thanks.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast