Thread: Can't find System > Admin ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can't find System > Admin ?

Hi,
    I imagine my questions have already been asked & answered a number of times but I am unable to locate quite what I'm looking for. First let me say - my sisters old Dell Latitude went belly up & since she purchased it used (no reinstall disk) we decided to give Ubuntu a try. Is it my imagination or is her PC running much faster? We're just zooming around the interweb. According to the System Monitor it's using about half the RAM Windows did. Don't really have the whole Linux memory swapping thing figured out but I can tell the PC isn't working as hard as it used to. Is that true? The hard drive doesn't appear to be working as much? Ubuntu installed very quickly as well - impressive.

Going to install it on my old Dell 8100 (Pentium III) because it is practically unusable with Windows (too slow). Apparently I will have to figure out how to tweak the driver on the Netgear WG511v2 WiFi card using Ndiswrapper, found this link:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

So I found the Dash, the System Monitor, Terminal (used it to check the video driver) but cannot find System > Admin (?) - need some help.

Installed Ubuntu 11.10 & keep seeing references to Unity but this PC is not ready for Unity & reverted to Gnome. Could that have anything to do with it?

One last thing - found & installed a networked HP printer - living on a PC running Windows & it started to print then stopped.

So far really like Ubuntu. Hoping to never purchase another copy of Windows.

thanks,
    daemoncycler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't find System > Admin ?

In the upper right hand corner of your screen, you will see a gear like thing next to your name. Click it and go to system settings. There is no more system>admin unless you install gnome classic which will have similar menus like the old gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Can't find System > Admin ?

Well that's good to know. Don't know old Gnome from new Gnome, in fact before yesterday had never heard of Gnome (except in the garden). Can I then assume the purpose for System > Admin was to access administrator functions which is assumed since I an logged in with the admin id? Sorry for such simple questions.