Thread: How do you clone a flash drive?

Beans

Question How do you clone a flash drive?

I have 11.10 running pretty well.

My transition to Ubuntu began when my wife's 2.8 Ghz P4 XP machine began to go blue.

CCleaner helped somewhat, but this PC has apparently accepted some uninvited guests over the years. AAMOF we could never update it to SP3.

Necessity being the mother of invention, and learning to dislike Windows, I installed 11.10 on a flash drive as an alternative OS.

For the last 2 weeks I have been running 11.10 with fast and reliable performance.

I am ready to clone my flash drive and my Plop USB boot disk.

What method do you suggest for USB flash cloning?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do you clone a flash drive?

Hi, I'm addmitedly a bit confused about your question. To simply answer I'd suggest you to use the dd comand. Please run
    Code:
    man dd
    for further details.
    But I actually think that you intend to do something a bit different, like installing ubuntu in your hard disk, to replace xp, or alongside it. If this is true, you should have in the live session (from your pendrive) an icon to install... could you please clarify what your final intent is?
    Last edited by JC Cheloven; April 21st, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    Necessity being the mother of invention, and learning to dislike Windows,
    For the last 2 weeks I have been running 11.10 with fast and reliable performance.
    Seems like the oppurtunity for a brand new, full hard drive install of Ubuntu, don't you think?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    Seems like the oppurtunity for a brand new, full hard drive install of Ubuntu, don't you think?
    I agree that a full install is the last step.

But first, she needs to get used to Ubuntu.

A weekly blue screen is not nice, but she can live with it for a little bit longer.

BTW After you have customized a version of Ubuntu to your satisfaction, it seems that a version update would keep the features. OTOH a fresh install would require you to do it all over again.

I like Firefox updates because the add-ons that do not work are grayed out. When compatible add-ons become available, a click installs them.

It would be great if the features/mods of Ubuntu could be saved and re-installed (if they work) with the newest version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may be overcomplicating things. Any customization you did in these two weeks can be typically re-done in no time, and it's safer than porting sparse configuration files. My advice (after installing for a 100+ people) would be to keep your documents in a safe place, and go for a fresh install.

If your wife still needs windows, do a dual boot. Works nicely

Cheers
    JC
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    You may be overcomplicating things. Any customization you did in these two weeks can be typically re-done in no time, and it's safer than porting sparse configuration files. My advice (after installing for a 100+ people) would be to keep your documents in a safe place, and go for a fresh install.

If your wife still needs windows, do a dual boot. Works nicely

Cheers
    JC
    Point, well taken.

How long to wait before version 12 'matures'?

Beans
    Hidden!

Point, well taken.

Its an LTS Release, you can do a release upgrade in a few days when the stable release comes out.

In terminal:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Upgrade to 12o4 has worked well for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Point, well taken.
    I'd say, from previous experience, that 1-2 months is reasonable. In this time the developers usually get ironed out some possible rough edges.

On the other hand: be prepared to see in the forums a lot of complaints and problem reports. Don't get fooled, keep in mind that only people having problems will post, but this people isn't a majority at all in the big numbers (well, it was like this so far). It happened specially in the past with LTS releases. I still remember the 'massive' (apparently) rants about 8.04 Hardy Heron when it came out, and almost the same for 10.04 Lucid Lynx. But in the long run, they have beeen good LTS versions. No doubt that the forthcoming 12.04 Precise Pangolin will be 'greeted' in a similar way.

Cheers
    JC