Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Threaded View

Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by aq3e View Post
    No dice booting 12.04 LTS

Disk starts to boot yet hangs on the load screen with the version number. Allowed about 15 minutes to see if anything would happen but nothing did. No idea what to do specs are as followed.

Powerbook G4 17

1.67ghz
    2.00 GB DDR2
    120 GB HD

any ideas?

I have the 15" 1.67 ghz with the same issue. The live cd doesn't work. I was able to install using the alternate install CD image. The installed 12.04 will hang at the same point as the live cd, but I "fixed" it by doing this:

For anyone else with a Powerbook5,8 (the last 15" ppc powerbook they made):

After installing, it hangs when it tries to load the wireless. So to get 12.04 up and running, I deleted the following directories on my installation (with a 10.04 live usb):

/lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43

/lib/modules/3.2.0-18-powerpc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy

I now have a working Kubuntu up (runs decently), though several other issues still remain (including getting the wireless up somehow), but at least the computer is functional (something to work with).
    However, this seems to prevent the wireless from working again, even after trying to install the wireless again

Note: the directory 3.2.0-18-powerpc might be different now. I'm not on that computer at the moment, but on this Dell, the current appears to be 3.2.0-22
    Last edited by gwjvan; April 11th, 2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: updating directory information