Thread: How does SAMBA map user permissions?

Beans

How does SAMBA map user permissions?

Hi,
    I'm configuring samba shares and trying to understand permissions. File system permissions trump any samba write/read lists. How does samba map authenticated users via smbpasswd to linux users?

If there's ubuntu user bob, and authenticated samba user bob. Does smbd try to match the two bob users and access file using that user account?

If there's no linux user bob, but a samba user bob and smb.conf doesn't specify that system user must exist. What file permissions apply then?

When does sambashare group get used?

How does Ubuntu right click and "Share Folder" work? None of those shares are in smb.conf file. Is it done through samba? Can I setup my samba to use only linux accounts and skip smbpasswd altogether?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How does SAMBA map user permissions?

Quote Originally Posted by Budric View Post
    Hi,
    I'm configuring samba shares and trying to understand permissions. File system permissions trump any samba write/read lists. How does samba map authenticated users via smbpasswd to linux users?
    As far as I know you have to have both a OS user (Ubuntu) and a Samba user (via smbpasswd) for Samba to work. The only exception is the guest account. See below.

If there's ubuntu user bob, and authenticated samba user bob. Does smbd try to match the two bob users and access file using that user account?
    Yes, to Samba they are the same user.

If there's no Linux user bob, but a samba user bob and smb.conf doesn't specify that system user must exist. What file permissions apply then?
    If user is not found in unix passwd" and you have "map to guest = bad user" Samba maps to the system user nobody by default.

When does sambashare group get used?
    That's a Linux group and you get to define when it's used. The package routines make the group not Samba.

How does Ubuntu right click and "Share Folder" work? None of those shares are in smb.conf file. Is it done through samba?
    These are called usershares. These shares are located in /var/lib/samba/usrshares. Samba creates the shares via Nautilus, but you can also create them from the terminal.

Can I setup my samba to use only linux accounts and skip smbpasswd altogether?
    Nope, you have to have both or the user is a guest if you set guest access up.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Samba does offer an often useful alternative, the "force user" and "force group" directives. With these you can define a share that is owned by a single Unix user and group for OS-level activities regardless of the identity of the users logged into the share. That does mean all the files will be owned by the common user, so that you can't discriminate between files created by bob and ones created by ted. If you don't care about that, then the "force" directives might be useful.

In this case, I believe that you don't need a corresponding Unix user/group for each Samba user/group.

Type "man smb.conf" at a Terminal prompt for more details.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Samba does offer an often useful alternative, the "force user" and "force group" directives. With these you can define a share that is owned by a single Unix user and group for OS-level activities regardless of the identity of the users logged into the share. That does mean all the files will be owned by the common user, so that you can't discriminate between files created by bob and ones created by ted. If you don't care about that, then the "force" directives might be useful.

In this case, I believe that you don't need a corresponding Unix user/group for each Samba user/group.

Type "man smb.conf" at a Terminal prompt for more details.
    The force user and force group work like suid and sgid. They do nothing to help in authenticating the user. I believe you have to at least be authenticated as "guest" to access the share data.

The information regarding user/group security is in the smb.conf man pages in the section under Security (G). The default is security = user. From the description: "Note that smbd ALWAYS uses a valid UNIX user to act on behalf of the client, even in security = share level security."
    -BAB1

Beans

Thanks guys.

Beans

There is one peculiarity about how clients browse and attempt to access shares that might just save you from going insane when it come to all this and it depends on what OS the client is using.

Windows Client
    Let's say you have a Windows user named morbius and he logs into his Windows box with that user name and a password of xyz. When morbius tries to access a share, Windows passes that username and password automatically. Assuming you have the parameter "map to guest = Bad User" and you have created a share requiring credentials what happens is this:

* If you have created a user on Linux named morbius and have set the samba password to xyz the Windows user is allowed in to the share automatically without being prompted.

* If you have a username that matches but a samba password that does not, the Windows user will be prompted for credentials.

* If you have no Linux user named morbius and therefore no samba password for him then the Windows user will be converted to "nobody" because of "map to guest = Bad User" and "guest account = nobody ( which is in the defaults but is not in smb.conf" ) and "nobody" is denied access.

Linux OS
    The Linux client works differently in that it does not automatically pass the users login name and password ( at least not if it browses to and selects a share ) since Samba thinks that's goofy. Linux clients will always be asked for credentials and "map to guest" really plays no role.

Guest share
    The reason I bring this up is because you may decide to create a "guest share" where you are allowing anyone to access the share. The Windows user who has a corresponding Linux user / samba password match will be allowed access and will save a file with that user name.

If the username matches but the password does not the Windows users will be prompted for credentials to access the quest share because the Linux server is forced to resolve the credentials that have already been passed. This is done at the Hostname level even before it reaches the share.

If there is no Linux user / smb password then the user comes across as "nobody"and access is granted and files will be save with owner = nobody. The Linux client will always come across as "nobody" so if you have a mix of client OS's you could have a mixture of files saved as "nobody", "morbius", .....

As pointed out above "force user" and "force group" can be used to equalize things on the server. These parameters take affect after the authentication phase of samba and it will make all files saved have the same owner, group, or both.