Thread: Question about internet sharing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Question about internet sharing

Hi,

I'm in university and in order to use the network, a device must be registered by it's mac address. Only computers and games consoles are allowed, so no switches or routers are possible.

My question is, when i plug my laptop into the network, and share the connection over wifi, my phone can't access the internet. It gets an IP, but no gateway address, which is exactly what happens when you plug in a new device that's not registered.

However, my flatmate has a mac, and she can share her internet with us, and we can browse with no problem.

So am i right in thinking that the mac somehow disguises all wireless traffic so it appears as it's just coming from one device? And that ubuntu doesn't do this, so the network actually sees my phone as another device?

Or is my sharing just not working?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question about internet sharing

You could test whether your sharing is working or not by letting someone with a registered MAC access the internet over your shared network. If it works then your sharing is ok. The next step would then be to find out if the Mac does a special kind of sharing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Question about internet sharing

The only thing I have to connect to the shared network is my ps3, which is registered. But, for some reason, it doesn't even detect the laptop as a network, even when scanning or manually.
    Last edited by Rich930; January 27th, 2012 at 05:22 AM.