Thread: Making of Mathmap in Lucid 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Making of Mathmap in Lucid 10.04

Important:
    If this is your first time compiling something then stop and do something else. I can not guarantee the accuracy or applicability of the information below for any other case than what is described below. Also based on previous I assume that the reader is familiar with linux to some extent and the below text is not formulated for high standard.

The story:

I wanted to compile Mathmap 1.3.5 plugin for Gimp version 2.6.11. Turned out it was not straight forward. One reason was that I could not find anything recent about the issue so I decided to post my experiences here. If you benefit from this but have a bit different experience or find that something is not needed then post it here for others to see and learn.

Previous thread / tutorial is fro year 2007.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=mathmap

also this helped

http://groups.google.com/group/mathm...e7af4bfd?pli=1

A file named INSTALL is located in the mathmap-1.3.5 directory. I strongly suggest that you read it and install first everything it says or anything you might guess is the closest alternative. In addition to what the INSTALL tells to install I also installed following packages. I do not know if all of them were really necessary since some of them are from the year 2007 thread.

Packages
    - libgimp2.0-dev
    - libgtksourceviewmm-2.0-dev
    - flex
    - bison
    - libtool

When running the
    Code:
    make
    for the first time in to the directory

~/mathmap-1.3.5$
    compiler returned an error

Code:
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/acer5020/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise/doc'
    `which doxygen` Doxyfile
    /bin/sh: Doxyfile: not found
    make[2]: *** [html] Error 127
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/acer5020/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise/doc'
    make[1]: *** [doc] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/acer5020/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise'
    make: *** [libnoise] Error 2
    if you get this cd to

Code:
    :~/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise/doc$
    open readme and do what it says i.e. copy the following files from the htmldata into the html subdirectory:
    - background.png
    - doxygen.css
    - libnoise.png

I used Nautilus for this.

This seems like a stupid and unnecessary thing to do since files are already there but I quess it helps for some reason. At least it does not hurt. After copying the files run

Code:
    make
    in the

Code:
    :~/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise/doc$
    directory

then

Code:
    cd ..
    to

Code:
    ~/mathmap-1.3.5/libnoise/noise$
    run

Code:
    make
    then

Code:
    cd ..
    and

Code:
    cd ..
    and

Code:
    make
    After this the make should be ready and error free if you had the same problem set as I had. I do not give any advise on the install since I used Checkinstall so that I can track the installation from Synaptic. If you want to use Checkinstall and you have it installed then just type

Code:
    checkinstall
    in the mathmap directory. For me the Checkinstall prompted about some files and at this point I messed up and had to redo the installation and manually remove some symbolic link to get installation done. I suggest that you do not attempt to list the files when prompted with question. Checkinstall offers default [n] so use it and use suggested [yes] on next prompt.

After installing the plugin worked but on the first run I had multiple errors about system finding multiple similarly named filters. Since there was a prompt for every filter I killed the app and removed the folder

/usr/share/gimp/2.0/mathmap/expressions/examples/

After this the Mathmap started with out hickups and seems to work.
    (tried and tested once so far)
    ========================================
    "If people make the final decisions, let's invest in education, not technology. " - zefrank 03-28-06
    ========================================

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Making of Mathmap in Lucid 10.04

Hi

I have been trying to install mathmap for quite a while now, but i keep getting this error when running 'make' in mathmap-1.3.5:

Code:
    native-filters/convolve.o -c native-filters/convolve.c
    native-filters/convolve.c:26:19: fatal error: fftw3.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [native-filters/convolve.o] Error 1
    If i run make clean i see that convolve.c is in the native-filters directory, but not convolve.o. But that goes for other files in this directory as well, like cache.c. When i run make a cache.o file appears in native-filters, so i assume the same should happen for convolve.c, but it doesn't.

I have followed your (very clear!) tutorial , and tried several other things i found on forums and blogs, but i can't seem to get past this point...
    My mom says i'm a catch