Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 11.10 is freezing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    148

    11.10 is freezing

    Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a program to try

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    2,196

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    In some cases, heat issues causes software freezes. So have you considered it's not a software issue which is causing this? Bad video drivers can also cause this.

    Some have reported that the new unity interface can cause problems, and in that case, you should take a look at the video drivers and or turn off the Unity interface from your Ubuntu system.
    Debian 8.0 "Jessie"
    HP laptop (15-ab064no-Nordic)
    Linux user since 1999.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Beans
    3,564
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Anderson View Post
    Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a program to try
    the freezes could be due to anything, hardware or some incompatibility between hardware and drivers or just some application, try watching carefully what you where doing when the freezes happen, in my case on this desktop I also have freezes but only when using bluetooth and if I happen to open compiz settings manager otherwise everything works nicely.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    148

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    the freezes could be due to anything, hardware or some incompatibility between hardware and drivers or just some application, try watching carefully what you where doing when the freezes happen, in my case on this desktop I also have freezes but only when using bluetooth and if I happen to open compiz settings manager otherwise everything works nicely.
    ******************Thanks for the response this has been a ongoing problem for more then a year ,done just about everything. but I remember one of the first things I did a year ago was turn off a few programs that were sometimes a issue but I can't remember what they were.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    I'd bring up system monitor and see where your memory/CPU usage is going. It's basically task manager for ubuntu.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    16
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Exclamation Re: 11.10 is freezing

    After I upgrade my Ubuntu from 11.04 to 11.10 I had the following issue.
    • My upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 kept freezing randomly.
    • Had long delays while booting.
    • Shutdown kept freezing from time to time


    I have no idea why. I explored the forum and net with no luck and the syslog was not useful in discovering the cause. My hardware is quite decent. Intel 930 I7 and gigabyte MB + 8GB RAM.

    I did solved the problem by installing the server kernel
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.0.0-12-server linux-headers-3.0.0-12-server
    Now its the second day without any freeze. The boot still has long delays, though I can live with it.

    Hopes it helps

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    The Question is: are these freezings permanent or do they disappear when you move the mouse/touchpad?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    230

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Anderson View Post
    ******************Thanks for the response this has been a ongoing problem for more then a year ,done just about everything. but I remember one of the first things I did a year ago was turn off a few programs that were sometimes a issue but I can't remember what they were.
    Have you tried blowing the dust out. Install Xsensors and see what the temperatures are. Did you upgrade or do a fresh install? If you did and upgrade try a fresh install. You could disable sound in BIOS to see if it is sound card. Just use the default video driver.
    Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++
    Last edited by Johnny3; October 31st, 2011 at 11:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    3

    Re: 11.10 is freezing

    Since I updated my ubuntu to 11.1, I have had 2 occurrences of freezing. It is not actually a complete freeze however my mouse pointer and other things freezes for 30 sec and then I can move my mouse for 10 sec and again it freezes for about 30 secs. finally, I have to restart my computer(with restart button, to be able to work normally again).

    I did not have this problem before upgrading to version 11.1.


    My computer specifications:
    OS: Ubuntu(obviously) - 64-bit
    Memory : 15.7 GiB
    Processor : Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8
    Disk: 2.0 TB

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •