Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Thermal Shutdown Ocurred

Beans

HP Thermal Shutdown Ocurred

Hello! this is my first thread in this forum since im using ubuntu (2009)usually all my questions or problems get resolved in here but latley im having one that i cant find a possible solution

Recenlty i bought a notebook (HP Pavilion g4-1064)since day 1 i wanted to install ubuntu which i suceed to without any problems my problem start when i restart the notebook a "Thermal Shutdown Ocurred" alert is displayed before i can even load the OS but the computer NEVER shutdown while in use even on heavy load, i installed lm-Sensors and it says my core temps are 47c idle to 67c under heavy load, which i think are normal temps because even under Windows 7 the temps are almost the same ( +- 2c )btw i think its good to say that when im under windows and i restart the pc the thermal shutdown ocurred display doesnt happen which makes me think that is something with Ubuntu doesnt communicate with the bios or something i have istalled the latest drivers and BIOS from HP support page but the error its still displaying

in resume
    the notebook displays a Thermal Shutdown Error even when my notbeook its cool and never shutdown while in use its only when i restart the PC FROM ubuntu, from windows its ok

Hope i get explain ( Spanish its my native so i have some trouble explaining in english ) i really wish someone could help me, tough the Error Display its just .... an error its annoying Thanks

Sorry i forgot
    Specs

core i3 2310m
    intel hd Graphics 3000
    320 hitachi Hdd
    3gb 1333mhz Ram
    Last edited by IDLCR; June 9th, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add pc specs

Beans

Re: HP Thermal Shutdown Ocurred

I'm having the same issue on a HP Pavilion dv7. Guess Ubuntu shuts down the computer in a way that the BIOS doesn't understand, and then the BIOS think that stop was because of overheating.

If anyone has a solution for that problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm still hoping this problem will be solved soon.
    I need to disconnect my battery before plugging in the power and boot my computer. It's getting a little annoying...

I have tried setting acpi=off in grub.cfg to no avail. I have also searched the internet several times hoping someone have found a solution. But still no luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I'm trying to fix this problem myself.

Kind regards,

Tim

Beans

I have this problem on a HP Envy 17" 3D running Win7 and Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion g6-1155sa and had exactly the same problem. I fixed the issue by updating the BIOS from F23 to F32 (The most recent version on the HP website.) (I found this out as I also had a problem where I could not put the laptop to sleep, so I thought the only answer could be updating the BIOS.)

Hope This Helps.

Beans

I also have this issue on an HP Envy 17 with 11.04 64 bit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoneill View Post
    Hi, I have a HP Pavilion g6-1155sa and had exactly the same problem. I fixed the issue by updating the BIOS from F23 to F32 (The most recent version on the HP website.) (I found this out as I also had a problem where I could not put the laptop to sleep, so I thought the only answer could be updating the BIOS.)

Hope This Helps.

I already updated to the latest bios ffor my laptop which is f16 but i'm still getting the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This seems to be more and more of a common problem. It looks like it's a firmware bug in older versions of Insyde BIOS. I flashed BIOS yesterday, upgrading it from F.0A to F.0F, and the problem sadly persists. I am running Windows 7 and Linux Mint 11 on an HP Dv7-4296nr.

Beans

ok, sorry for taking so long to answer and maybe you all have already solved it, the problem disappeared when i updated the bios, the last one from HP support page and now the problem is gone, F.52

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast