Thread: 64 Bit installation problems

Beans

64 Bit installation problems

So far every time I try to install a 64 bit OS, I run in to a problem. When trying to install Ubuntu 64 bit with wubi, it installs fine but once I get into the menu and try to install updates it freezes forcing me to hard reset. When I boot it up again I try to download updates and it has a error message and only allows me to do a partial upgrade. I've also tried Kubuntu 64 bit with wubi but it just freezes on the kubuntu logo. I've managed to get 64 bit Ubuntu working on my desktop which ran into similar errors but a message box came up on that and i just clicked the repair button and it fixed itself. So far only 32 bit distros install with no errors. Is there any real reason why I should go with a 64 bit OS instead of a 32 bit OS? I've had nothing but trouble so far with 64 bit installs, its getting on my nerves.

CPU- AMD E-350 Zacate 40nm Technology
    Ram- 4.00 GB DDR3 @ 539MHz
    Motherboard- Hewlett-Packard 3577(Socket FT1)
    Graphics- AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics(HP)

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: 64 Bit installation problems

64-bit technology makes better use of your RAM, but with 'only' 4GB the difference is not so big, a 32-bit operating system will be able to use 3.2 -3.6 GB. Otherwise my experience is that 32-bit systems work at least as well as 64 bit-systems, particularly for certain applications like multimedia software. I know that many people disagree with me, and I hope that someone posts a reply in favor of 64-bit technology.

In summary: use 32-bit systems as long as they deliver what you want

Have fun
    Olle
    Last edited by WasMeHere; October 6th, 2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    64-bit technology makes better use of your RAM, but with 'only' 4GB the difference is not so big, a 32-bit operating system will be able to use 3.2 -3.6 GB. Otherwise my experience is that 32-bit systems work at least as well as 64 bit-systems, particularly for certain applications like multimedia software. I know that many people disagree with me, and I hope that someone posts a reply in favor of 64-bit technology.

In summary: use 32-bit systems as long as they deliver what you want

Have fun
    Olle
    I read somewhere that 32 on a 64 computer causes performance issues.

Beans

Yes some people say and write so, but I don't (except reduction of the effective RAM). 3 years ago I tested quite a few applications and none of them was faster with 64-bit ubuntu on a computer with a dual AMD 4400+ cpu. This year I installed Ubuntu Studio on an old but rather powerful hp workstation with Intel Zeon processors 2x2 cpus and 4GB RAM. I tested 32-bit and 64-bit versions and I kept the 32-bit version.

I suggest that you test both yourself using live systems, and then select what to install.

Beans

Yes some people say and write so, but I don't (except reduction of the effective RAM). 3 years ago I tested quite a few applications and none of them was faster with 64-bit ubuntu on a computer with a dual AMD 4400+ cpu. This year I installed Ubuntu Studio on an old but rather powerful hp workstation with Intel Zeon processors 2x2 cpus and 4GB RAM. I tested 32-bit and 64-bit versions and I kept the 32-bit version.

I suggest that you test both yourself using live systems, and then select what to install.
    64 wont work for me lol

Beans

So unless you want to tweak your system or test various flavours of linux to make your computer work with 64 bits, simply run the 32-bit version

But I would be glad if a 64-bit fan would show up in this thread.

Beans

So unless you want to tweak your system or test various flavours of linux to make your computer work with 64 bits, simply run the 32-bit version

But I would be glad if a 64-bit fan would show up in this thread.
    i'm a fan, i use 64 bit on virtual machines and my desktop. dont understand why it is having all these problems on my laptop. i had similar problems on the desktop but a fix it button appeared on that, dont understand whats going on here. might as well go with 32 bit... too bad mint isn't wubi compatible. so far mint is my favorite distro but i dont use it since it didnt pick up my desktops wireless card, and i dont want to have to carry my computer up a flight of stairs just to use ethernet to download drivers it should have installed automatically.