Thread: Firefox on Ubuntu. Screen fades to black and locks up when middle-click scrolling

Beans

Exclamation Firefox on Ubuntu. Screen fades to black and locks up when middle-click scrolling

Which websites this problem occurs:
    My problem happens on Quora, msnbc.msn.com (Maybe caused by "caption bubbles" that change when scrolling through page) and MANY MANY OTHER SITES. These sites work fine on with Chrome.

The problem itself:

Scrolling (without middle-clicking) on some webpages leads to a jerky scroll of the page.

At this point, middle clicking causes the whole screen to fade black, locking up the entire window and not allowing input (seemingly caching all click-wheel input) until it slowly, painfully reaches the bottom of the page.

THEN returns to normal but suddenly lurches back up with the movement of the click-wheel input entered while the screen was back.

Note: A similar jerky scroll occurs when browsing facebook photos after their recent upgrade (pops over of the rest of the page). The screen does NOT turn black when middle clicking and scrolling (incidentally through the background, not the pop up).

Since MSNBC, Quora and facebook photos all have the "jerky scroll" before the middle-click scroll locks up the screen, I suspect it may be a javascript problem in the webpages of those sites (and many others), but Ubuntu/Firefox shouldn't freeze up because of their problems.

My setup and settings:
    My settings are (Edit Preferences ->) "Use Auto-Scrolling" and "Use Smooth scrolling" are enabled. Note "Auto-scrolling" enables the updown arrows but smoothscrolling doesn't make any change I notice. The problem happens regardless of the smooth scrolling option

Note this problem occurs for me on Ubuntu Firefox 3.6.x (and earlier). I'm new to linux and haven't yet figured out how to install firefox4 properly. This problem did not occur on Windows 7 (and XP before that)

his problem is bugging me heaps, preventing me using quora comfortably and may make me switch to Chrome if not fixed. I've tried searching but no one seems to have the same problem. Hopefully others with the same problem will find this thread (and hopefully a solution)

Beans

Re: Firefox on Ubuntu. Screen fades to black and locks up when middle-click scrolling

I was having a similar problem with Google Image searches in Firefox 3.6. I would try to center click to open the image in a new tab. The browser would interpret this as a "scroll" action and painfully crawl down the page. This would essentially lock up the entire computer for the duration of the scroll.

Anyway, here are the instructions I followed to update to the latest Firefox, which seems to have solved my problem:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/795196

Beans

Re: Firefox on Ubuntu. Screen fades to black and locks up when middle-click scrolling

Quote Originally Posted by joshgoes View Post
    I was having a similar problem with Google Image searches in Firefox 3.6. I would try to center click to open the image in a new tab. The browser would interpret this as a "scroll" action and painfully crawl down the page. This would essentially lock up the entire computer for the duration of the scroll.

Anyway, here are the instructions I followed to update to the latest Firefox, which seems to have solved my problem:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/795196
    Yeah, my problem hasn't occurred since Firefox and/or Ubuntu were updated