Thread: How to debug random restarts?

Beans

How to debug random restarts?

About once a week, my laptop locks up and then restarts with no indication about what happened. I've tried looking through log files but don't really know what I'm looking for.

Can someone just quickly walk me through what I need to do in order to determine the cause of these random restarts? What do I need to rule out before I start suspecting it might be a hardware failure?

I'm running the latest Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron E6400.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to debug random restarts?

Could be a lot of things. The HDD failing, the CPU over-heating. Are you doing anything at the time it restarts? Doubtful it is OS related...
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmapond View Post
    Could be a lot of things. The HDD failing, the CPU over-heating. Are you doing anything at the time it restarts? Doubtful it is OS related...
    Web development with rails... so Chrome with maybe 10 tabs open, a few terminal windows, and a text editor. It's certainly happened other times too, but that's been what I've been doing the last few times it happened and I don't consider those particularly resource intensive unless I'm running tests.

Is the CPU temp recorded somewhere? I'm running the SMART self-test on my hard drive right now.

Beans

SMART test passed... hard drive seems fine.