Thread: no authentication agent was found when installing VBox extension pack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

no authentication agent was found when installing VBox extension pack

Hi,

I'm trying to install the virtualbox extension pack on Lucid x64 and seems to have run into a hitch - I get the error:

Code:
    charles@Atlantis:~$ vboxmanage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.2-73507.vbox-extpack 
    0%...
    Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
    VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/home/charles/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.2-73507.vbox-extpack": The installer failed with exit code 127: Error executing command as another user: No authentication agent was found.
    I've compared this machine witht he machine that works (same version of Ubuntu) and I can't find anything that might be causing the problem.

Here's a diff of the installed packages between the two (< is the working machine, > is the non working one):

Code:
    < ii  hptsvr-https                    1.4-11                                          HighPoint Web RAID Management Service
    < ii  lib32gcc1                       1:4.4.3-4ubuntu5                                GCC support library (32 bit Version)
    < ii  libc6-i386                      2.11.1-0ubuntu7.8                               GNU C Library: 32-bit shared libraries for A
    > ii  libpolkit-dbus2                 0.9-4ubuntu2                                    library for accessing PolicyKit via D-Bus
    > ii  libpolkit-grant2                0.9-4ubuntu2                                    library for obtaining privileges via PolicyK
    > ii  libpolkit2                      0.9-4ubuntu2                                    library for accessing PolicyKit
    < ii  libuptimed0                     1:0.3.16-3                                      Library for uptimed
    < ii  linux-image-2.6.32-32-server    2.6.32-32.62                                    Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    < ii  sdparm                          1.02-1                                          Output and modify SCSI device parameters
    < ii  ssh                             1:5.3p1-3ubuntu7                                secure shell client and server (metapackage)
    < ii  uptimed                         1:0.3.16-3                                      Utility to track your highest uptimes
    Could libpolkit be causing the problem? When I googled the error, I got the most hits from policy kit.

Note: When I installed the extension pack on the working machine (as a normal user) I got a kdesudo prompt that asked for my password, the non working machine never got that far, apparently, and kdesudo is installed.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: no authentication agent was found when installing VBox extension pack

I'm just guessing and throwing out things...

When I installed it, I just double clicked and it ran, instead of cli.

The extpack is 4.1.2-73507. Does that match the version of vbox installed? I have no idea if it would matter.

Try rebooting to clear out the cobwebs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by b0b138 View Post
    I'm just guessing and throwing out things...

When I installed it, I just double clicked and it ran, instead of cli.

The extpack is 4.1.2-73507. Does that match the version of vbox installed? I have no idea if it would matter.

Try rebooting to clear out the cobwebs?
    That's the same version of VBox I am running. Guessing you are running a DE since you mentioned double clicking? Were you prompted for your sudo password?

Rebooted to no effect. I'm going to wipe the machine again and try one more time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, standard gnome on lucid. Maybe try downloading the extpack again? Probably too late for that now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by b0b138 View Post
    Yes, standard gnome on lucid. Maybe try downloading the extpack again? Probably too late for that now
    Done that a few times- it runs fine if I run it with sudo, but the extpack doesn't show up for the user that it needs to run as.

I'm not sure if it's a bug in that extpack or what.

EDIT: Hmm, I shutdown one of the machines that was having the problem and when I started it back up this morning, the extension pack was installed and seen from both root and the user.. Testing it on another box to see what happens.

EDIT2: No go after a reboot. When I tested it with just installing virtualbox, it prompted for the password fine, after installing all the junk, it just errored out again. Guess I know where to look now.

EDIT3: After installing the extpack with sudo and rebooting, it's now showing up for the user. Guess I'll mark this one as solved.

Just for the record - uninstalling behaves the same way, just in case someone else runs into this problem.

Solution in my case: Stop vboxweb-server and wait for these two processes to end (check using ps aux | grep VBox):
    Code:
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown
    After those were stopped I was prompted with the kdesudo box and everything installed fine.
    Last edited by CharlesA; September 4th, 2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added solution