Thread: Security Devices in Evolutoin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Security Devices in Evolutoin

I need to install a security device for signing my email messages with a personal certificate. Thunderbird allows me to install a "Security Device" in the form of a ".so" library that handles the authentication. Is it possible to install security devices in Evolution, too, and if so, how do I do that?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Security Devices in Evolution

I attempted the work-around described here, substituting ~/.mozilla/<user>/<random>/ with ~/.thunderbird/<random> and ~/.evolution with ~/.local/share/evolution, but this doesn't seem to work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Security Devices in Evolutoin

ocwo92: This link may help explain things...

http://library.gnome.org/users/evolu...yption.html.en

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    ocwo92: This link may help explain things...
    Well, yes and no. I already have a PGP key that I can use for signing, and I also have a CAcert certificate that I can use for S/MIME signing.

However, the certificate that is giving me headaches is one that is provided by a national, centralized agency, which unfortunately doesn't comply well with neither standards nor common sense. (For example, this national agency insists on owning our private keys, which are stored centrally; but that's all a different story.) To sign the certificate, the agency provides a "security device" that works in Thunderbird, and I'm wondering if this can somehow be put to use by Evolution, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ocwo92: I have not used a "security device" as you have described but would have thought that it still involves a certificate file that can be imported into Evolution as described under para "2.6.6.1. Adding a Signing Certificate".

However, anyone who has actually used such a device will probably be able to give better advice than me.

It may help clarification if you can advise if the "security device" is hardware (such as a dongle) or software and how it is currently used.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    ocwo92: I have not used a "security device" as you have described but would have thought that it still involves a certificate file that can be imported into Evolution as described under para "2.6.6.1. Adding a Signing Certificate".
    It would probably work if the certificate authority wasn't violating several security issues. In this case, however, I can't simply import the certificate.

The "security device" is a piece of software, that is, a library that works with Thunderbird. This piece of software handles a certificate that seems to be a PCKS11 format that is embedded in some proprietary format.