Thread: Import Seahorse Keyring

Beans

Question Import Seahorse Keyring

I recently installed Maverick. For various reasons I wanted to start clean with a new home directory, just copying over what I actually needed to keep.

I have an old seahorse keyring from my former ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring

Is there any way to import this?

Note, I don't want to simply overwrite my current default keyring, as I have already set up a number of email accounts, wireless networks, etc, but I would like to migrate the secrets from my old keyring into the new one.

Seahorse appears to have options to import/export individual private/public keys, but not a whole keyring.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Import Seahorse Keyring

No answer - sorry.

Did you ever find a way to do this? I've put off moving from Karmic to Lucid precisely for this reason. I have a LOT of entries in my keyring and I would rather not have to re-enter them manually.

Beans

If all you want to do is upgrade, that's not a problem. You can copy your old ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring over and all your old passwords etc will get picked up.

My issue was that I didn't consider keyrings until after I'd set up a bunch of stuff on a fresh install. In the end, I gave up, moved my old keyring into place, and re-entered the new passwords. (There were less new ones than old ones.)

It's a shame there isn't a better way to import full keyrings, but for your needs you should be fine - you won't have to enter everything by hand.

Beans

The funny thing is I tried that earlier and it didn't work. My old passwords didn't show up, not even after unlocking. So I put off the move to Lucid for a while, hoping to find more info about importing. Today I tried again and it worked. Weird.

Thanks for your reponse.

Beans

I have even to change the name from default.keyring to login.keyring to unlock it with login on to my 11.04 system