Thread: Mounting a GPT filesystem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Mounting a GPT filesystem

How can I mount the following file system in Ubuntu?

GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mounting a GPT filesystem

For what use?

For install, it should already be mounted.

For use in Ubuntu... it should already be mounted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Konstabel View Post
    How can I mount the following file system in Ubuntu?

GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Thanks
    You are confusing terminology. A file system is a method of storing files on a partition. Examples of filesystems are ext3 (Linux), HFS+ (OS X), and NTFS (Windows).

The GUID Partition System is a method of indicating the size and position of hard disk partitions. You do not "mount" a partition table, you mount a filesystem.

Please tell us exactly what you are trying to do and we can help you accomplish what you are trying to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am borrowing a friend's HFS+ formatted external usb harddrive from which I would like to copy some stuff. But I cannot get it mounted. And cannot seem to find a way to do it either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So I'm having much the same problem. I installed cAos on an empty disk, hdb.
    It shows in fdisk as being

/dev/hdb1 * 1 3650 29316671+ ee EFI GPT
    that being Device, Boot, Start End Blocks Id System

cAos allegedly installed a bootloader. Perhaps. Meanwhile, I don't have anything else booting so I'm running this from a Puppy Linux disk. My other partitions are there.

I was about to kludge in a GRUB or better yet LiLo bootloader (yeah, I know, GRUB BEST! GRUB BEST! and all that but older versions of GRUB have a little problem with the uuid instead of root kopt) but it shows up as mentioned above.

I'm wondering if GRUB will recognize it. Puppy Pdrive drive manager doesn't show it.

cAos because I've got enough mainboards with CPUs and memory that I'm trying, for my first time, to run a Beowulf. And cAos has on the install DVD a system tool called WareWulf (if English isn't your first language, I should explain that the name is a really bad pun. Thank God, I'm not the one responsible for it.)

I'm also wondering if Karmic will play nice with the new baby. I've been having a lot of trouble trying to add Mandriva 2010 to the boot order as well.
    "Damn, that was the stupidest deal I ever made"
    Odin, immediately after he traded his eye for wisdom.

Beans

You need to have EFI GUUID Partition Support enabled in the kernel

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep EFI_PARTITION
    # CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION is not set