Page 1740 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 7401240164016901730173817391740174117421750179018402240 ... LastLast
Results 17,391 to 17,400 of 23480

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Hi rusty_jones, you need to install these fonts as it says in the script from here http://ompldr.org/vODYxOQ then in a terminal run sudo fc-cache -fv make them work.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; May 6th, 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: to add link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Sure, I code in my sleep, but doesn't everybody? LoL!

The madness occurs when you try to code your dreams.

It's a fine distinction...
    unless you code in your nightmares. oohhh scary thought
    VinDSL, are you going to start including and 11.10 script with your data dumps as well and arent you and 42dorian supposed to be on hiatus right now?
    I'm a super power user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wildmanne39.....I like your post and I totally agree.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I hope you're kidding...

I see examples of my code, in various stages of development, all over the web. It's very easy to spot (as you've previously suggested). Would evil code lurk around every corner on the globe, and survive? I think not.

I killed the mem leak in londonali1010's most excellent background lua script. It took me a month to do what others couldn't do in a year and a half. Does that make me an evil genius? I would have kept the fix to myself, if I was "truly nuts".

I would judge that most noobs don't have a problem using my code, if they follow the comments. And, if they choose to ignore the comments, how does that reflect poorly on me?

We're both supposed to be on holiday. It was forced upon me, by a high-ranking mod. Every post I submit subtracts from my "bean count". I was exiled at 400+ "beans", now it's in the 200's. In your case, it was self-imposed, yes? Whom is the nut - me, you, or the mod (or all of us)?

Ppl continue to fill my inbox with requests. I send them over here. Does that make me mad, or just short on time?

It is, what is is. I can't help it if someone has had a stroke, and lost the use of one of their hands, can't follow instructions (real life example), and so forth, and so on. Everyone is in a different walk through computerdom. Some ppl cannot attain the experience you demand, no matter what. In some cases, life has dealt them a cruel hand, and they need to deal with it - but not necessarily alone.

With a little help, we'll get them on the right path, but suggesting that I'm nuts, evil, and have ruined this thread, is giving me way too much credit.

I wouldn't know how to be evil, if I tried. The whole concept is alien to me. And, I can assure you, I'm not nuts. And, I'm not messing with anybody. I post what I run - and that's it - nothing more, nothing less. My data dumps are a direct copy n' paste of my config files.

Sure, I code in my sleep, but doesn't everybody? LoL!

The madness occurs when you try to code your dreams.

It's a fine distinction...
    Well, there's proof you're nuts. You actually thought any of what I said wasn't out of our friendship and respect for eachother. Yeah. You code your dreams. Do I need to remind you of the PMs we had, back and forth, when you regretted mentioning that in the forum here the last time? 'Cause that's pretty crazy stuff. Doesn't make it a bad thing, just that you're nuts. Fun kind of nuts.

And my frustration isn't at you. Just the volume of people who don't know how to fix things because of your config. Is it your fault? no. You didn't make these people lazy. And if it was pretty much any other language than Conky, they'd be doing the right thing. Do I think you need to take some responsibility and put a warning against a direct copy of your script in the actual post itself? Well, yes. Send them here before they copy your script if you wish, that's okay with me. If I didn't have this shoulder injury right now, I'd take one of your Conkies and make a guide post like I did with the multi-desktop setup. Obviously I am quite capable of writing detailed guides. But for you? It's kind of like power being thrust upon you. You inherited the throne, now you have to rule. Metaphorically anyways.

Now, is it Evil, what you've done? Not the code, no. The fact that your code needs so many primers and tricks to get working, yes, it is. Not in your own Evil, just the object itself is Evil. To anyone who has never touched Conky before, or perhaps is new to Linux, this beautiful construct you've made makes use of many advanced features that a new person won't get at first, and thus they can perceive it as broken or Evil. To us Veterans, it's nothing. The advanced features aren't broken, the new person hasn't learned to look for the specialty fonts you use, or to use the voffset, offset, and goto objects. And to people who we've encountered before, who truly are against you for reasons I can't understand, the pages and pages it takes to get them up to speed from scratch makes the rest of us seem like your "Zealots" (Remember THAT one?) when all we're doing is helping get it going.

Prime example of this is wildmanne39. I like him. Nice guy. Learned quick. Just... a SPONGE for information. And he's... well... almost obnoxiously polite and appreciative to the rest of us. (Not literally wildmanne39, I just have a point to make.) However, he's often got just one or two lines per post, and posts over and over and over again until his problem is solved. This takes pages and pages of the thread to solve, making a direct answer to many other newbies' same problems harder to find, and HE'S one of the GOOD newbies. One of the best-case-scenarios. True, I wish he'd post more screenshots along the way and show us how he's doing with his work, that would be easier, but he hasn't done anything wrong. Whose Conky setup did he start with? A VinDSL original. Arminius, a newbie who contributed to saving this thread. Similar issues. Started with a VinDSL Original, now he's... well... I haven't seen him in a while but he's gone way beyond it.

So yeah. You're nuts Vin. In a good way. That's just your personality. It has nothing to do with your Conky setup though. My point there was that you're a good guy, but your Conky, to new people, can be Evil. You experimented with two different versions of Ubuntu at a time, and two different versions of Conky at a time. That's pretty advanced stuff when you're a new person who doesn't know yet how to un-comment things, how to download and install fonts, or to use the spacing commands. And Conky, for some reason, is easier when you know what all the objects are first. So, not knowing the objects first, plus you using advanced features, foreign fonts, and lua scripts, all adds up to a lot of confused people. Do I want you to stop all together? NO! Am I allowed to be frustrated at having to do such a high volume of repeating myself? Sure I am! And the "Raised Blood Pressure" is not literal. It's a running joke now that djyoung4 is quoting me as getting upset.

Beans
    Hidden!

just a suggestion

this
    Code:
    ####
    ## Installed fonts (required)
    #
    #  ConkyWeather (Stanko Metodiev)
    #  ConkyWindNESW (Stanko Metodiev)
    #  Cut Outs for 3D FX (Fonts & Things)
    #  Droid Font Family (Google Android SDK)
    #  Moon Phases (Curtis Clark)
    #  OpenLogos (Icoma)
    #  PizzaDude Bullets (Jakob Fischer)
    #  Radio Space (Iconian Fonts)
    #  StyleBats (Vinterstille)
    #  Ubuntu Font Family (Canonical Ltd)
    #  Ubuntu Title Bold (Paulo Silva)
    #  Weather (Jonathan Macagba)
    becomes this
    Code:
    ####
    #
    #  OpenLogos (Icoma)
    #  all necessary fonts can be downloaded here http://ompldr.org/vODYxOQ
    #  unzip the fonts into your font folder, for example /home/username/.fonts
    #  then run this command in a terminal sudo fc-cache -fv
    if you don't have time to respond to people who email you, then at least attempt to fix this problem at the source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Here's my conky desktop. I'm using 5 conky windows. I've included all of the configuration files in the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Icche Ghuri; May 6th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Icche Ghuri View Post
    Here's my conky desktop. I'm using 5 conky windows. I've included all of the configuration files in the attachment.
    very nice work!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeachy View Post
    just a suggestion

this
    Code:
    ####
    #
    #  OpenLogos (Icoma)
    becomes this
    Code:
    ####
    #
    #  OpenLogos (Icoma)
    #  all necessary fonts can be downloaded here http://ompldr.org/vODYxOQ
    #  unzip the fonts into your font folder, for example /home/username/.fonts
    #  then run this command in a terminal sudo fc-cache -fv
    if you don't have time to respond to people who email you, then at least attempt to fix this problem at the source
    I would suggest this also, but with one side note. Not everyone reads his script at all. They just copy, paste, and complain it's broken when they don't. So, the real solution is to put a warning not to copy it directly until after they've had a chat with the rest of us, because we can walk them through their learning curve faster than a direct copy can. That way, Vin doesn't get the E-Mails, PMs, or crazy people thinking he's ruined Conky/This Thread breathing down his neck. We can take a new person to fully functioning Conky addict in no time flat. Hell, we can use Vin's scripts as lessons to do it too. It's just not a good idea to copy directly from VinDSL's latest few scripts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Icche Ghuri View Post
    I'd suggest using GIMP to pixelate your outside IP address before posting. It's good work! I just hope nobody gets the idea to abuse an open IP address in response.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    I'd suggest using GIMP to pixelate your outside IP address before posting. It's good work! I just hope nobody gets the idea to abuse an open IP address in response.
    Thanks for the advice, I've changed it.

Page 1740 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 7401240164016901730173817391740174117421750179018402240 ... LastLast