Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 Problem with unity

Beans

[fixed] 11.04 Unity not being loaded

I was playing around with Compiz Config and tried to enable desktop cube. Then i had to disable some of the other plugins which werent compatible so i just clicked through and disabled 3 or 4 plugins. Now when ever I try to login to ubuntu with unity i get a blank desktop. No launch pad or top panel. Nothing? just the wallpaper.

However i can still login with ubuntu (classic) Does anybody know whats going on and how to fix it?
    Last edited by uShafee; April 28th, 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Beans

Re: 11.04 Problem with unity

While you are in the classic mode, why don't you try and disable the compiz settings that you changed and put it to default and see what happens. Compiz cube to the best of my knowledge is not compatible with unity as it hinders the desktop wall needed by unity.

Should this fail, just do a fresh install of compiz settings manager and see.

Beans

I already did a fresh install of compiz config which didnt seem to help. i ll give a reset to defaults a try.

Beans

Now the same thing happens in classic mode (nothing but the wallpaper is displayed). Everything else works though. I get a notification about being connected to the wireless network and can edit desktop backgrounds create launchers etc. Now I have access to only the ubuntu (classic with no effects).

Beans

When you tried to change from wall to cube/rotate you likely unset all the plugins inc. the unityshell one (several plugins will do this when enabling or disabling

Before anything else gets to messed up. while in Classic(no effects), open a terminal and run these 2 separate commands
    Code:
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
    Then log out and back into the Ubuntu (unity) login - should be back to the defaults

If you then want to set cube/rotate instead of wall ask - a couple of easier ways

Beans

that fixed it is it possible to have unity and desktop cube together?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uShafee View Post
    that fixed it is it possible to have unity and desktop cube together?
    Sure - use it here
    Ck. back in a few and I'll post an easy way

Beans

There are 2 ways to switch from wall to cube/rotate and not take the chance of unsetting all the plugins.

One way is to use gconf-editor, the other is to temporally disable automatic plugin sorting in ccsm while doing the switch

For gconf-editor - while in the unity login -open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    Navigate as shown in screen 1 to /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options, right click on 'active plugins ' > edit

In edit mode - screen 2, highlight wall, click remove

While there I also remove a few other things, will list and why
    grid - if you want to drag windows from workspace to ws it interferes
    snap - can't stand it
    imgpng - I use a transparent unity panel - don't want the shadow
    unitymtgrabhandles - depends on imgpng, only good for touch devices

Now click on the add button and type in cube - screen3
    Do the same for rotate, screen 4 shows both added

Do not use gconf-editor to add or adjust anything else - it doesn't resolve conflicts, so after adding cube/rotate close out gconf-editor, wait a few seconds for the compiz reset/
    Then no matter what log out and back in.
    You then can open ccsm and adjust any of the enabled plugins
    (I use desktop based viewport switching and change some things in the unity plugin, in general > desktop size go with 1 vertical, 4 horizontal, ect

Note - you must enable rotate, most will want with cube, anyway it is needed for other reasons
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; April 29th, 2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Note -

Beans

i think i'm dealing with the same issue ... i played around with compizconfig-settings-manager to anable the cube again after updating. now the system is running, but i don't have any windowframes. i already tried to run this to commands to set back the compiz ... it did'nt work.
    how do I get my frames back?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    When you tried to change from wall to cube/rotate you likely unset all the plugins inc. the unityshell one (several plugins will do this when enabling or disabling

Before anything else gets to messed up. while in Classic(no effects), open a terminal and run these 2 separate commands
    Code:
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
    gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/compizconfig-1
    Then log out and back into the Ubuntu (unity) login - should be back to the defaults

If you then want to set cube/rotate instead of wall ask - a couple of easier ways
    This worked for me, as well. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast