Thread: GNOME 3 on Toshiba Satellite M40-152 S4

Beans

GNOME 3 on Toshiba Satellite M40-152 S4

Hi guys.

This issue might be related with that one (Link). Please read that thread.
    I have upgraded from ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04. It worked. No issues during upgrade. Upon rebooting I realized that unity doesn't work for me, but that's not that bad, I just chose Ubuntu Classic (or something like that) and it worked.
    Then I read about GNOME 3 and I wanted to try it out. So I followed these instructions on how to install GNOME 3 on ubuntu 11.04, which, btw, are identical with these instructions. Anyway, I rebooted and chose Ubuntu Gnome Shell Desktop from the dropdown menu. It boooted, and the only thing I got to see is a black screen and my mouse. I have to hard reboot to get back to somewhere where I can do something.
    I tried to boot the other options, ubuntu and ubuntu classic. Instant error: Unable to load session 'ubuntu' (or 'classic-gnome' respectively) or a black screen with only my mouse.
    I can boot into the recovery console. From there I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    So that I can continue with
    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    However, I don't have an internet connection in the console. Now, this was with wireless. I shall check a wired connection later on, and post results.
    Is there any way that I can get internet access through the recovery console and then ppa-purge GNOME 3 away (which is the uninstall process suggested here (scroll down to the comments))?
    I hope you can help me.
    ~Fightback
    Last edited by Fightback; April 28th, 2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Various Spelling Mistakes