Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splash screen changes

Beans

Splash screen changes

I have tried fooling around to change my splash screen, and have downloaded splash manager to try and change all that. It wont work and in this instance, I am afraid I am stuck on how to fix it. Can anybody please tell me how to change the Ubuntu splash screen from the horrible purple to something better?

Beans

Re: Splash screen changes

Do you mean the login screen or plymouth screen with the Ubuntu logo?

For the background image at the login screen...
    Open the terminal and run the following commands

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow
    Then logout, and you’ll see an Appearance window pop up. Change it to how you prefer it, then close it and login as usual.

When you have logged in after finishing the customizing, run this command to prevent the Appearance window from opening at the GDM screen every time.

Code:
    sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

If you want to change the background color of the plymouth screen let me know.
    eg the attached pic shows my plymouth background changed to black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; March 15th, 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Beans

Wink Re: Splash screen changes

Great that is awesome, I modified the splash screen at login, and yes, the plymouth screen is exactly what I want to change.

Here is the splash screen at the moment:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beans

You can change the look of the default plymouth theme colors using
    this guide http://www.khattam.info/howto-change-ubuntu-pinkpurple-plymouth-boot-screen-to-any-color-you-like-2010-11-09.html
    It basically copies the default plymouth to create a new plymouth theme
    and shows you how to change the background colors and/or the logo colors.
    I just used it to change the background color.

You can also change your plymouth theme by searching for plymouth-theme in synaptic and installing the one you want.
    After installation you need to change plymouth with
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    select your theme and then run
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Last edited by stinkeye; March 15th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Beans

Thanks for your help, for now I will just keep the splash screen changes and not bother with the plymouth theme script hacking. It seems all a little bit too complicated for me. I have installed another theme however and will use that to change the boot screen color.

Beans

Just changing the default plymouth background to black is fairly simple and looks a lot
    better than the purple.

Make a backup of ubuntu-logo.script...
    Code:
    sudo cp  /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script.bak

Then edit ubuntu-logo.script...
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script
    When gedit opens go to edit > preferences > view and tick Display line numbers.

Now go to line 166 and 167
    Code:
    Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12);     # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12);  # an equally nice colour on the bottom
    and change to...
    Code:
    Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.00, 0.00, 0.00);     # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.00, 0.00, 0.00);  # an equally nice colour on the bottom

Beans

Cool Re: Splash screen changes

It hasn't worked. I have backed-up the splash script as needed and added the changes to the background color bar.

I tried several different colors.

I've also tried to update the package through package manager so that when I run the command,

Code:
    I choose the available option for the splash package...

I then run

Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    No change at all on several restarts. I'm exhausted trying this, I am just going to say that it is fixed and leave it at that.

Beans

Ok, is your brain bleeding?
    Have a panadol and a lie down and you might want to try later.
    It get's easier. It's just copy and paste, and yeah if somethings not working
    don't do your head in, just put it on the back burner until things make more sense.

That edit works with ubuntu-logo theme so you would have to select
    "0 /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.plymouth 100 auto mode"
    when you run
    Code:

and then
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the detailed guide, stinkeye! I'll try it, when I get fed up with this one:
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=129696
    I just recently replaced the default one with it, and yeah, it's still a bit purple, but nice enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I found i could edit the background colour easily by using 'alt+F2' and 'gksu nautilus'.

From there i just copied and pasted the ubuntu-logo.script and renamed it, then right clicked on the original and selected 'open in text editor'.

I changed the background colour as Stinkeye stated and then re-selected the Plymouth theme, i use the 'Zorin Splash Screen Manager'.

http://zorin-os.webs.com/splashscreenmanager.htm

The black screen is a big improvement over the purple one, however i would like to change the colour of the dots underneath the word 'Ubuntu'.

Does anyone know what line you need to edit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast