Networking Mac and Linux desktop w/ printer wirelessly
I have the following:
1) Mac laptop with Mac OS X version 10.6.6
2) Desktop w/ Linux Ubuntu (newest version)
3) An external harddrive
4) HP Printer PSC 1510
I would like to do the following:
1) Have my desktop in one room, with the external hard drive and printer plugged directly into it.
2) Have the desktop connected to my router w/ an ethernet cable (desktop doesn't have wireless capabilities).
3) Have my Mac in another room linked to the router wirelessly.
4) Network the Mac and desktop so that I can access the files on either computer from the other one.
5) Be able to access the external hard drive and printer hooked up to my desktop using my laptop.
I tried doing this before w/o knowing exactly what I was doing and failed miserably. I became frustrated and have just reinstalled Linux Ubuntu on the desktop to reset everything and haven't touched any settings yet. My Mac network settings have not been reset, and I'm not sure if this needs to be done.
Could someone outline all the steps for me that would be necessary to do this? I had some success with networking the desktop and laptop before, but number 5) proved to be quite difficult for me to do. I'm a newb at Linux, but I very much want to have it as my OS on my desktop.
Tags for this Thread