Thread: Wine with multi-core CPU frame-rate issue in WoW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wine with multi-core CPU frame-rate issue in WoW

Im using wine to run WOW... and i have to say, whether its my new computer or new versions of wine / ubuntu. it runs great compared to how it used to.

my question is this...
    When i run wow in wine, it is only using 1 of my 8cpu cores. im running a 64bit OS with an i7-720QM, 4gb of ram and a Nvidia GTS360m. because it's only using one CPU core, my frame rate suffers.

Is there anythign special I have to do to make wine use multicores for WOW?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Wine with multi-core CPU frame-rate issue in WoW

Tried this?

Open the WTF folder the WoW directory
    Open Config.wtf
    At the bottom, add one these lines-

Dual-cores:
    SET processAffinityMask "3"

Tri-cores:
    SET processAffinityMask "7"

Quad-cores & I5s:
    SET processAffinityMask "15"

I7s:
    SET processAffinityMask "255"

http://www.wowwiki.com/CVar_processAffinityMask

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Erm....

If you bothered to read about wine, you would already have known that wine is a 32bit program. Since you need a 64bit program to access multiple cores, I'd have to assume you have 64bit wine.

Since you already knew this, because you were told in the stickies at the top of the forum to search about wine, I'm assuming your computer is broken, and only allowing a single core to work.

Or do you ask/post first, then research?
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    Erm....

If you bothered to read about wine, you would already have known that wine is a 32bit program. Since you need a 64bit program to access multiple cores, I'd have to assume you have 64bit wine.

Since you already knew this, because you were told in the stickies at the top of the forum to search about wine, I'm assuming your computer is broken, and only allowing a single core to work.

Need a 64bit program to access multipule cores? You've got to be kidding. Back at ya on 'research'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cwwilson721 View Post
    Erm....

If my post bothers you, don't help. I'd rather have no help than have someone sit there and make me feel stupid.

And you are wrong, Wine runs other programs with multiple cores just fine. It's only WoW.