Thread: Restoring a cloned mythtv system to another system

Beans

Restoring a cloned mythtv system to another system

I have 2 servers - both Asus motherboards and 64 bit AMD processors. These are different models one about 2 years old - the other one perhaps 3. I use the newer faster box as my backend. If I clone the entire drive on the newer server (via Clonzilla {great program btw}) - and "restore" this image to the older system you would expect perhaps some minor tweaking might have to be done - but when I go into mythtv-setup I only have one card defined (there should be 4 - no Video Sources (there should be 8), etc. Why does this occur?? When I booted up the "cloned" system there were no physical DVB device connected (there are 2 in the production box) - but I would have think that is not the issue here. WHAT AM I MISSING??

Beans

Re: Restoring a cloned mythtv system to another system

Hi,

Is the cloned backend attempting to connect to the original backend? Did you change the computer name on the cloned backend? If so you need to setup the video sources/tuners again (Video souce/tuners are tied to one host).

If you didn't change the ip address/host name and both boxes are on the same network mythtv will get totally confused.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans

No - I unplugged the network cable from this system so as to avoid duplicate address on my internal network. I've tried this more then one time over the last couple of years - never sucessfully. It's always given the same results. Now if I restore back to the original box it works great. It's not a big deal I guess...I could probably install mythbuntu on it - and just bring up a copy of my original mythconverg db - but I would like to understand what is going on....

Beans

Hi,

So the network interface wasn't up, I'd imagine that the network post didn't get an IP address (even if it's a fixed address). So maybe mythtv can connect as the host is not contactable.

The best thing to do is have a look at the log files (/var/log/mythtv) to see what's really going on.

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

Beans

I'll look at that and see what I get - it might show something. If I have any insights I'll post an update. Thanks for your responses...

Beans

Think I figured it out. The production box - which was the source for the cloned image - used eth0 for it's nic. Since I live in a house that cries out for lighting damage the other test server had a bad eth0 (onboard) and I installed a PCIe eth1. Once I corrected the /etc/network/interfaces file from eth0 to eth1 - and rebooted - the system came up and I was able to see my capture cards, etc.

Beans

Hi,

Linux would see a different network card (based on the MAC address) as a new ethX device, so even if you had exactly the same motherboard it'll get a new eth.

I think hal/udev is responsible for assiging a eth to a network device/mac address.

Regards
    Ian Dobson

Beans

Try looking at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules - it creates you interface based on MAC address

Use "ifconfig -a" to find the MAC address

( Some prefer that it's eth0 all the time )