Thread: PAL S-Video on ATI Radeon, xorg driver, Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

Beans

PAL S-Video on ATI Radeon, xorg driver, Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

I'm trying to convert my Home Theatre PC from Windows Vista to Ubuntu. My main problem is that I can't get a stable, colour picture on my widescreen SD CRT PAL TV, connected to the HTPC over S-video. I've been trying for 3 days and I've now run out of ideas! I'd really appreciate any help! Have you gotten S-video to work on a Radeon card?

Specs

• ATI Radeon x1250 (RS690) (onboard motherboard)
    • Open source "radeon" driver
    • AMD dual-core 64-bit processor, 2GB RAM
    • BioStar TA690G AM2 motherboard (with latest BIOS)
    • mythbuntu 10.10 64-bit

What I've tried:

Windows Vista Media Centre 64-bit
    S-Video and component output both work fine

Ubuntu with AMD/ATI's latest closed-source driver
    Component output shows a stable, colour image but no acceleration works and video playback is very juddery. ATI's configuration software claims it can't find a supported device. It turns out my x1250 is a "legacy device" so I installed the "legacy" drivers but these were built for an old version of Ubuntu and didn't install correctly.

Ubuntu with the radeon (open source) driver
    Works beautifully when outputting to a VGA monitor. But shows an unstable, black-and-white image on my TV over S-video. I think the reason the image is unstable is because the card isn't using the correct timings, although I have no way to measure the S-video timings. I've tried both the "stock" radeon driver (installed with Ubuntu 10.10) and the latest radeon driver from git. I've tried:

$ xrandr --output S-video --set "tv standard" pal
    $ xrandr --newmode "720x576@25i" 13.5 720 732 795 864 576 581 586 625 interlace -hsync -vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode S-video 720x576@25i
    $ xrandr --output S-video --mode 720x576@25i

(I've tried all the PAL modelines listed on the MythTV wiki and I've tried extracting a modeline from Windows using powerstrip).

Setting "tv standard" to pal actually makes the image totally unusable. pal-m is reasonably stable, as is ntsc.

I've tried turning Kernel Mode Setting off but that didn't help and actually seemed to make X go very slowly

I've tried adding Kernel lines to configure the S-video output but no joy

I've tried all manor of xorg.conf settings but they seem to do very little

I've tried changing my BIOS's TV-Format settings to PAL and NTSC (and others)

Possibly of interest is this EDID bug, but I doubt it is relevant for my problem.

I've attached my dmesg log, Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf

----

So, please, if anyone has any ideas please let me know! Could this be a bug??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: PAL S-Video on ATI Radeon, xorg driver, Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

Humph. I've just tried installing the latest kernel (2.6.37) but this hasn't helped matters.

Any tips?!

Beans

Re: PAL S-Video on ATI Radeon, xorg driver, Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

Ah, this appears to be a known bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21948

I've submitted my log files etc