Thread: Audio input disappears randomly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Audio input disappears randomly

Same question asked in Launchpad
    Same question asked on askubuntu
    Same question asked in LinuxQuestions
    I'm running Lubuntu 10.10 on a HP Compaq nx6325. I use it to digitize tape records - connecting the tape deck's headphone output to the notebook's microphone input. Audacity then records the 45 minutes of sound.
    However, from time to time, audio input just disappears. There is no data incoming; instead of audacity recording silence, the track cursor completely stops in its way. When using gnome-sound-recorder, the clock counter stays greyed out even though I start recording. Issuing
    sudo alsa force-reload
    fixes things again. The system logs show little useful, although I can post the more relevant parts if asked.
    Does alsa (or pulseaudio) have some kind of log somewhere? Can I make one? Is there any other or better way to find the problem?
    Feel free to ask any information needed, will post as necessary.
    Last edited by Moshanator; December 21st, 2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added lq link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Audio input disappears randomly

Have same problem with Ubuntu 10.10 on a desktop. Audio input works perfect for a while, then disappears and stops working in different sound recording software (skype, audacity, gnome-sound-recorder). After reboot I get same situation. 'sudo alsa force-reload' don't work for me, only reboot helps.

$cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    HDA ATI SB at 0xfbbf4000 irq 16

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Audio input disappears randomly

Yes, alsa force-reload only works on lubuntu. Probably because there's no Pulseaudio involved (in contrast to every other *ubuntu).
    Doesn't solve the problem though. One could automate this reloading, but the breaking moment leaves no traces (that I can spot) behind, there is no way for the system to know when it needs to reload alsa.
    Ice-beam, what kind of hardware are you using aside from the soundcard?
    Last edited by Moshanator; January 16th, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: asked icebeam's hardware