Thread: MD5 in Nautilus Properties

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MD5 in Nautilus Properties

I had on my last box, the ability to check md5 and other digests from the properties of a given file. I am now on a fresh install of 10.10 and have been unable to restore this function. I do not even remember if it was a script that I added or a package that I installed. Searches of Google, Ubuntu and, Synaptic have proven unfruitful. I have attached a screenshot to show the implementation of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MD5 in Nautilus Properties

I think what you are looking for is the python-nautilus application which can be installed through Synaptic. Once installed look in /usr/share/doc/python-nautilus/examples and you will find md5sum-property-page.py and open-terminal.py. These will need to be copied to /home/username/.nautilus/python-extensions the last directory will probably need to be created. Once put there I think you'll need to log out and in again for this to take effect.

The open-terminal.py adds the open terminal here to the right click option in nautilus which I use loads I assume (95 % sure) that the md5sum-property-page,py is what you need.

Ian

Beans
    Distro

I've just checked on my machine and the instructions detailed in my previous post add an md5sum tab only to the right click > Properties option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the quick reply. I know of this or similar to it. I am looking for the exact instance I have in the attached picture.

Beans
    Distro

Please post back if you find it as the attached image (which I did not notice prior to posting) looks interesting.

Beans
    Distro

Hah. Having now used the python-nautilus md5sum tool I suggested I find that the md5sum it yields is different to that obtained by doing md5sum filename.

A quick mess around in Python reveals (fairly sure anyway) that it's simply doing a hash of the string absolute file path. So if the file is /home/username/file1.txt its simply hashing the text "/home/username/file1.txt" not the file. Looking at the file md5sum-property-page.py also looks like this is what's happening as the file does not appear to be read anywhere. My Python is pretty basic but I think I'm right. Some one please correct me if not.

This means I'm now all the more intrigued as to what the package was you were using before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still not having any luck.

Looking in the /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0 directory has provided no help.

I just hooked the old box up, next to my current setup. So if anyone can point me in a direction to look for this, I would be indebted.

Also, I exported a list of ALL installed packages. I have gone through the list and searched for anything that seemed promising. I came up with nothing. I attached the list to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HappySmack; November 26th, 2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Added attachment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Answer found by Takkat at askubuntu.com. It is a function of gtkhash. The part I overlooked was, You need to select whatever hashes you desire in the preferences and they are then displayed in a newly created "Digests" tab in a file's properties.