Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install VLC 1.0.6 on Ubuntu/Lubuntu 10.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How to install VLC 1.0.6 on Ubuntu/Lubuntu 10.10?

I have 3 computers running Ubuntu 10.10 (2x regular Ubuntu, 1x Lubuntu) and I need VLC media player 1.0.6 (the version from Lucid). I cannot use the Maverick VLC player, I need an older one.

What is the best way to install it? Is there a better option then installing it from source code?

Beans

Re: How to install VLC 1.0.6 on Ubuntu/Lubuntu 10.10?

Is there a better option then installing it from source code?
    No, while if you assembled all the needed packages and installed the lucid packages for vlc, there could/would be numerous issues.
    It may seem work ok depending on usage, but I believe things would start cropping up.
    For one vlc wouldn't close properly - it would actually just crash.
    Other issues would arise because the lucid repo (or any lucid ppa) vlc would have been built off and depend on the 0.5.1 ffmpeg libs, maverick uses the 0.6 shared ffmpeg libs.
    Highly not recommended though you could try if desired
    Probable package list (in this case amd_64
    doug@doug-laptop:~/Desktop/vlc6$ ls
    libavutil49_0.5.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libebml0_0.7.7-3.1_amd64.deb
    libmatroska0_0.8.1-1.1_amd64.deb
    libmpcdec3_1.2.2-2.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    libvlc2_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    libvlccore2_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    libx264-85_0.85.1448+git1a6d32-4_amd64.deb
    vlc_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    vlc-data_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_all.deb
    vlc-nox_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    vlc-plugin-pulse_1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb
    On my desktop mav I do have a vlc 1.0.6 package set I used for a bit back in May so you could certainly build the source and it should work ok. (it was statically linked to a ffmpeg and x264 builds just for vlc

I'd try to resolve your issues with 1.1.4 or even try the 1.2+ vlc instead

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Just out of curiosity why can't you use Maverick VLC player?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Just out of curiosity why can't you use Maverick VLC player?
    One of the main reasons I use VLC is for the shoutcast online radio feature. VlC 1.0.6 was the last version to include this feature, 1.1.x and onward don't have this feature. And I want this feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    On my desktop mav I do have a vlc 1.0.6 package set I used for a bit back in May so you could certainly build the source and it should work ok. (it was statically linked to a ffmpeg and x264 builds just for vlc

I'd try to resolve your issues with 1.1.4 or even try the 1.2+ vlc instead
    So my best option is to install from source? I've never really installed from source, do you know of a good tutorial for installing VLC or other programs from source?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

From what I understand 1.0 has reached end of life, but you can still install it here At your OWN risks, install VLC from PPA , worth a shot.

Beans

Hi Cityscape,

Quote Originally Posted by Cityscape View Post
    One of the main reasons I use VLC is for the shoutcast online radio feature. VlC 1.0.6 was the last version to include this feature, 1.1.x and onward don't have this feature. And I want this feature.
    I don't know a great deal about Shoutcast except for the vlc press release but I see that vlc-git currently certainly plays Shoutcast streams themselves, I attach a screenshot of vlc-git playing this stream:

http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-...pls?id=1272871

Or are you after a browseable list of streams as vlc currently does with icecast? Probably a better alternative to shoutcast imho...

Andrew

PS My apologies for inflicting goom on you as well .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; October 25th, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

VlC 1.0.6 was the last version to include this feature, 1.1.x and onward don't have this feature. And I want this feature.
    As Andrew has mentioned vlc can certainly play shoutcast streams, it just doesn't have the built-in listings anymore.
    (you could create some and add to the media library

A quick test w/ a built 1.0.6 using mav. libs suggests it will work ok, certainly lacking in many things.
    What will not work without patching (or ever) if how vlc closes.
    I guess if one considers a crash as good as a close then no big deal.

without time and honestly inclination to willow out the build-deps, a good configure, some useful patches ect., this should build a working vlc 1.0.6

Before doing (if you do), I'd search vlc in synaptic and mark vlc-data for complete removal. All other vlc packages will then be marked for removal - go to each one and re-mark for complete removal.

Also go into home folder (view -> show hidden files) and remove the vlc folder in .config and .cache

Using maverick libs, minimal config, vlc-1.4 deps (some aren't needed, no big deal to have installed, assumes you don't have the 1.0.6 source
    Code:
    mkdir vlc6 && cd vlc6
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep vlc && sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    Code:
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/v/vlc/vlc_1.0.6.orig.tar.gz
    Code:
    tar xzvf vlc_1.0.6.orig.tar.gz && cd vlc-1.0.6
    Edited in from this thread
    This would be a decent start

Code:
    ./configure --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-vorbis --enable-shout \
    --enable-qt4 --enable-flac --enable-speex --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-theora \
    --enable-twolame --enable-faad  --enable-v4l --enable-realrtsp --enable-real \
    --enable-snapshot --disable-zvbi
    Followed by
    Code:
    make
    Or if some things error then add some disables like this

Code:
    ./configure --with-tuning=native --enable-vorbis --enable-shout --enable-qt4 \
    --enable-flac --enable-speex --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-theora --enable-twolame \
    --enable-faad --disable-zvbi --disable-dv --disable-fluidsynth --disable-schroedinger \
    --enable-v4l --enable-realrtsp --enable-real --enable-snapshot && make

Code:
    sudo checkinstall --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes \
    --default --fstrans=no && sudo ldconfig
    You can file this under poor idea, but then again I'm a firm believer in that one should do whatever they want (as far as this stuff
    Last edited by mc4man; April 17th, 2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: alt configure

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

without time and honestly inclination to willow out the build-deps, a good configure, some useful patches ect., this should build a working vlc 1.0.6

Before doing (if you do), I'd search vlc in synaptic and mark vlc-data for complete removal. All other vlc packages will then be marked for removal - go to each one and re-mark for complete removal.

Also go into home folder (view -> show hidden files) and remove the vlc folder in .config and .cache

Using maverick libs, minimal config, vlc-1.4 deps (some aren't needed, no big deal to have installed, assumes you don't have the 1.0.6 source
    Code:
    mkdir vlc6 && cd vlc6
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep vlc && sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    Code:
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/v/vlc/vlc_1.0.6.orig.tar.gz
    Code:
    tar xzvf vlc_1.0.6.orig.tar.gz && cd vlc-1.0.6
    Code:
    ./configure --with-tuning=native --enable-vorbis --enable-shout --enable-qt4 \
    --enable-flac --enable-speex --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-theora --enable-twolame \
    --enable-faad --disable-zvbi --disable-dv --disable-fluidsynth --disable-schroedinger \
    --enable-v4l --enable-realrtsp --enable-real --enable-snapshot && make
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes \
    --default --fstrans=no && sudo ldconfig
    You can file this under poor idea, but then again I'm a firm believer in that one should do whatever they want (as far as this stuff
    Thank you mc4man.
    My concern is dvb-t and vlc 1.0.6 is the last version that plays the danish digital tv channels. I have tried your method in kubuntu maverick and it makes a working vlc 1.0.6. Just one thing does not work: Some of the danish channels are mpeg2 and some are mpeg4. The mpeg2 channels work but the mpeg4 channels do not play (no video, no audio).
    Both mpeg2 and mpeg4 channels play flawlessly in kubuntu lucid with vlc from repository.
    I have also tried your method i ubuntu natty alpha1 with same result as in maverick.

Is this some missing option to the configure

Beans

Is this some missing option to the configure
    As far as decoding mpeg4, I sorta doubt, fairly sure you could decode any of the various types from local files.

don't know much about dvb-t, you could just run a configure and then scrollback and read thru for what is and isn't enabled.
    Maybe remove the --disable-dv though again don't know if related.

Otherwise start vlc from a terminal in verbose mode and see if anything of interest shows. Either -
    vlc -vv
    vlc -vvv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast